British Golden Ale

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daniele

Reaction score
Hi, I'm an italian HomeBrewer
I'd like to brew a British Golden Ale!

This Is my recipe..what do you think about???

BRITISH GOLDEN ALE
British Golden Ale
5.0% / 11.9 °P
Batch Volume: 23 L
Boil Time: 60 min

Original Gravity: 1.048
Final Gravity: 1.010
IBU (Tinseth): 30
Color: 6.9 EBC

Mash
Temperature — 52 °C10 min
Temperature — 66 °C60 min
Temperature — 78 °C10 min

Malts (4.88 kg)
2.44 kg (50%) — Simpsons Pale Ale Golden Promise — Grain — 5 EBC
2.44 kg (50%) — Ireks Pilsner Malt — Grain — 3.5 EBC

Hops
16 g — East Kent Goldings (EKG) 5.8% — Boil — 60 min

46 g
— East Kent Goldings (EKG) 5.8% — Boil — 15 min

23 g
— Hallertauer Hersbrucker 3.8% — Aroma — 10 min hopstand

23 g
— Saaz 3% — Aroma — 10 min hopstand

35 g
— Hallertauer Hersbrucker 3.8% — Dry Hop — 3 days

35 g — Saaz 3% — Dry Hop — 3 days

Yeast
1 pkg — Wyeast Labs 1098 British Ale Yeast

Fermentation
Primary — 20 °C14 days

Thanks Daniele

Hi Daniele and welcome to the forum. Your recipe is well balanced and will work fine. I think you'll hit your traget OG spot on.
Personally, and it's only a matter of taste, I don't see why you need Pilsner malt in a British golden, the Golden Promise gives a lovely colour all on its own. Nevertheless, I see that other recipes do add a proportion of lighter malt. Similarly, I'd be looking to use British hops rather than German noble hops for late hop additions. (Do you want it to taste like a very light bitter or like a lager?) I think I might be going for First Gold for its hints of marmalade. You don't really need the 52C rest, a single infusion mash is good enough with these malts.
But those would be MY tweeks. your recipe is great, let us know how it works out. In fact, you've inspired me to move away from my bog standard Summer Lightning and try something a bit more adventurous myself.acheers.

Hi...thanks for reply and sorry for my bad english!!!
I use 50% Pilsner becouse i've read a lot of recipe with this grist so i've buyed ireks pils and minch hook Pale Ale that Is similar to a Golden promise.
About hops I've only german nobile hops so i tryed with this...i know that was better english hops... My idea was to complete ekg with some spiced hops like saaz and mittelfrueh...i Hope It came out good!!
Thanks Daniele

Hi Daniele and welcome to the forum. Your recipe is well balanced and will work fine. I think you'll hit your traget OG spot on.
Personally, and it's only a matter of taste, I don't see why you need Pilsner malt in a British golden, the Golden Promise gives a lovely colour all on its own. Nevertheless, I see that other recipes do add a proportion of lighter malt. Similarly, I'd be looking to use British hops rather than German noble hops for late hop additions. (Do you want it to taste like a very light bitter or like a lager?) I think I might be going for First Gold for its hints of marmalade. You don't really need the 52C rest, a single infusion mash is good enough with these malts.
But those would be MY tweeks. your recipe is great, let us know how it works out. In fact, you've inspired me to move away from my bog standard Summer Lightning and try something a bit more adventurous myself.acheers.

Hi...thanks for reply and sorry for my bad english!!!
I use 50% Pilsner becouse i've read a lot of recipe with this grist so i've buyed ireks pils and minch hook Pale Ale that Is similar to a Golden promise.
About hops I've only german nobile hops so i tryed with this...i know that was better english hops... My idea was to complete ekg with some spiced hops like saaz and mittelfrueh...i Hope It came out good!!
Thanks Daniele
Go for it. It sounds delicious anyway. And your English is miles better than my Italian so no complaints. ashock1

Go for it. It sounds delicious anyway. And your English is miles better than my Italian so no complaints. ashock1

Hi....what about water profile?

I think calcium about 70/80
Cl about 60/70
SO4 about 60/70

What do you think????
Thanks
Daniele

Hi....i've 100gr of endeavour hops....what do you think if I change saaz&mittelfrueh with endeavour? I don't know this hop...what do you think? Thanks Daniele

Hi....i've 100gr of endeavour hops....what do you think if I change saaz&mittelfrueh with endeavour? I don't know this hop...what do you think? Thanks Daniele
I've never used it either, but looking at what the British Hop Association have to say, I think I'm going to try it:

Flavour and Aroma
Complex blackcurrant, loganberry and spice notes best describe Endeavour's aroma, with a wonderful grapefruit and lime flavour. It is gentler than Cascade.
Characteristics
Blackcurrant, spicy, citrus.
Bittering Characteristics
With what's been brewed so far, well rounded and fruity is a good description of its bittering characteristics.
Flavour Intensity
7/10
About this Hop
Endeavour is a new wonderfully citrusy Hedgerow Hop that is creating a lot of interest and excitement. It has good storage stability.

Go for it. Let us know how it turns out.
Good luck

I've never used it either, but looking at what the British Hop Association have to say, I think I'm going to try it:

Flavour and Aroma
Complex blackcurrant, loganberry and spice notes best describe Endeavour's aroma, with a wonderful grapefruit and lime flavour. It is gentler than Cascade.
Characteristics
Blackcurrant, spicy, citrus.
Bittering Characteristics
With what's been brewed so far, well rounded and fruity is a good description of its bittering characteristics.
Flavour Intensity
7/10
About this Hop
Endeavour is a new wonderfully citrusy Hedgerow Hop that is creating a lot of interest and excitement. It has good storage stability.

Go for it. Let us know how it turns out.
Good luck

My idea was to use EKG at 60/15 Min and Endeavour at 0/DH
What do you think?

My idea was to use EKG at 60/15 Min and Endeavour at 0/DH
What do you think?
I think that if you keep an eye on the IBUs, you can't go wrong. I'm going to look into this hop and I'll probably either use Endeavour throughout since it's declared to be a dual purpose hop, or do my standard taster/tester of Magnum for bittering (as it's quite neutral) and Endeavour for late additions. Just to get a taste for the target hop.
But what you propose should be fine. Why not use Endeavour at 15 mins and 0 mins and DH?

For what it's worth, I have a recipe in a book for a Golden Summer Ale which uses 4.5kg MO and then Hallertauer, Crystal and Saaz hops. There's no flameout addition or dry hop and the quantities of hops used are much lower than in your recipe.

That said, the recipe is a little sketchy on details of AA% and IBU.

Back