British Golden Ale..

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clint

Forum jester...🏅🏆
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello all..
Thinking of this for tomorrow...bit of a hop user-Upper..
4.3kg Maris otter
200g torrified wheat
50g crystal
25g target @ 60
I got some EKG and celia for a flame out.
Yeast will be Notty.
OG 1.044
FG 1.010
Ebc 9.7
Ibu 27
Abv 4.5

Sounds good Clint but watch the Target for bitterness as it can be harsh. I would drop the Ibu's down a little unless it suits you

I was gonna say the opposite, up the IBUs a bit to around 33.

Agree that Target can be harsh, bit of an acquired taste but does make a good beer. Target and Celia in a golden ale are used in Wye Valley HPA if you want to see what the combination is like.

The reason I said drop the Target down was I did not look at the IBU's as in my mind it was way bigger than 27 IBU on my calc it is nearer 40 with the target alone.
Could somebody else check what IBU's it calcs at as it is 41 on my calc for a 60 min addition without the flame outs which would add more IBU's on top

On my calc it gives target @ 11.5 AA maybe that explains it why my calc is so much higher then.

Yep just re-checked it gives 41.79 ibu's. I have checked the recent crops being sold and they are approx where Rod has said.
Sorry Clint the guys are correct leave it where it is as my calc is deffo wrong

While I have your attention...its looking like I'm gonna get another brew on tomorrow!
I really want to brew an American pale but..I'm low on hops for this style. I've got loads of magnum so bittering isn't a problem but for aroma and flavour I only have 50g of cascade and about 40g of cashmere. I do have Willamette, Target, Halletau Mitt,Golding,Tettnang..I'm thinking bitter with the magnum then a whirlpool with the cascade and cashmere..but will it be enough? Or could I add some of the others?

How much Willamette do you have, it’s a great hop. Personally I would drop the magnum, bitter with cashmere or cascade, then 10 minutes with cascade and Willamette and same for whirlpool.

Willamette..no much having checked! Probably under 50g..it'll go in at the end to use it up.
That's why I was thinking of using the magnum to save the more aromatic hops for later on.

I can feel a CML order being prepared! Trying to wait til their Gretel yeast comes back in stock as brew list will definitely have a wheat beer.

Willamette..no much having checked! Probably under 50g..it'll go in at the end to use it up.
That's why I was thinking of using the magnum to save the more aromatic hops for later on.
Sierra Nevada is one of my favourite APA’s and that’s all cascade.

I’ve added Route Citra 6 wheat beer to my July brew list.
I looked that up...added to my list.
Cheshire Cat what's your thoughts on the latest CML yeast? I've used a lot of MJ but seeing as I need some hops thought I'd try a few..
What would be similar to the following MJ?
West Coast
Liberty Bell
I also need a Notty type,wheat and something for your Leffe blonde..

Back