British golden ale

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The best I have ever tasted is Batemans “Yella Belly” Gold …

… and the nearest I’ve got to emulate the taste is a Wilco Cerveza Kit made with 500g of light DME and a litre of Tesco’s Pink Grapefruit Juice! (The ordinary Grapefruit Juice from Tesco was a bit too strong for my taste.)

Enjoy!
:hat:

Ha i have some torrified wheat, is it for head retention
I normally have them for breakfast with milk on 😉

But in actual seriousness, what is the difference between fortified wheat and cornflakes. If it is just the extra sugar and salt you get on your cornflakes, then for the small amount that goes into a brew, the sale/sugar will make no difference.

I normally have them for breakfast with milk on 😉

But in actual seriousness, what is the difference between fortified wheat and cornflakes. If it is just the extra sugar and salt you get on your cornflakes, then for the small amount that goes into a brew, the sale/sugar will make no difference.
Errrrr...... one is corn, the other wheat 😉

🤦‍♂️. Ok, everything I said above... Except replace flaked maize for fortified wheat. It's been a long day...
Back on topic (I knew what you meant, sorry) I have used stuff from the health food shop where I can see it's got nothing added. I've heard - and this is other people's observations - that fortified cereals can leave an iron-y flavour in the finished beer

Went and bought a Cerveza Kit from Wilko today and then remembered “I’m on statins now!”
:confused.:

So it looks like just a Cerveza kit ‘cos everywhere I look (including this Forum), there’s plenty of “don’t drink grapefruit juice” advice, but nowt on “fermented grapefruit juice”!
aheadbutt

I have some OOD Hallertau Blanc Hops, so maybe a strong Hop Tea when the Kit is fermented out will have to suffice!

Went and bought a Cerveza Kit from Wilko today and then remembered “I’m on statins now!”

So it looks like just a Cerveza kit ‘cos everywhere I look (including this Forum), there’s plenty of “don’t drink grapefruit juice” advice, but nowt on “fermented grapefruit juice”!
aheadbutt

I have some OOD Hallertau Blanc Hops, so maybe a strong Hop Tea when the Kit is fermented out will have to suffice!
As far as I have been told, it isn't the actual grapefruit but the pith between the skin and the fruit, but I would ask a medical professional before adding it. If you are a fan of marmalade that it just as bad if made with Seville oranges which it usually is.
Now Dutto have you ever heard of Offilers Ales? I was reading somewhere I think it was on the Lets Brew Wednesday blog about an award winning Golden Bitter by the fore mentioned brewery, I have asked Edd if he can dig up a recipe but he couldn't, obviously it would be just a base malt but the hops are the missing link.
1657163594216.png

As far as I have been told, it isn't the actual grapefruit but the pith between the skin and the fruit, but I would ask a medical professional before adding it. ….

I’m afraid that “ask a medical professional” is not really on in this area! At 54 doctors to 100,000 patients, (well below the national average) the Doctors are overworked and I think it would be a bit frivolous to ask!

Thanks for the tip on marmalade! I’m glad to say that I make my own ‘cos the commercially made ones are just too sweet. The last batch was mainly lemon juice, lime juice, satsumas and sugar; made to clear out cupboards and with a “pucker factor” of … well, put it this way, SWMBO won’t eat it!
:D

Thanks again.

Latest posts

Back