British hops questions

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm a big fan of Endeavour, lovely fruity/citrus flavour. I recently experimenting by blending with a beer made with just fuggles, and the results were absolutely delicious! So now planning to make a fuggles/Endeavour bitter, bittered with magnum.

The Pilgrim hopped old ale is now quite mellow and has changed (not sure for the better but not for the worse), the pineapple has faded and the more publicised peach flavour is there. The citrus notes are the predominant flavours/aromas then the after taste turns peachy, very refreshing.
Hope your Golden ale turns out just as surprisingly good!

Just bottled my golden ale today. Some definite tropical fruit flavours that you don't really expect from a British hop. Definitely looking forward to seeing how it turns out post carbonation!

I'm a big fan of Endeavour, lovely fruity/citrus flavour. I recently experimenting by blending with a beer made with just fuggles, and the results were absolutely delicious! So now planning to make a fuggles/Endeavour bitter, bittered with magnum.

Sounds great, I love fuggles! You have a recipe for that? Haven't made a bitter for a while, so could do something similar for my next brew!

Sounds great, I love fuggles! You have a recipe for that? Haven't made a bitter for a while, so could do something similar for my next brew!

Thrown one together just now, keep in mind though that I haven't brewed it yet, so no idea how it'll come out. Feel free to tweak. Done for an efficiency of 82%. Target OG 1.040. Target FG 1.008. Target IBUs: 31.6 Tinseth. Target Colour: 22.4 EBC. Target volume into FV: 25 litres.

Mash: BIAB, 24.33L strike water. 90 minutes @ 66 degrees C. Mash out at 75 degrees C, raising of 7 minutes, held for 10. Sparge with 3 litres @ 75 degrees C.

Crisp Maris Otter 6 EBC 3400g
Crisp Black Malt 1339 EBC 40g
Crisp Crystal Malt 150 EBC 300g
Torrefied wheat 3.3 EBC 150g

Boil for 90 minutes

@90 minutes 12g Magnum whole hops
@15 minutes 1/2 Protafloc
@10 minutes 35g Fuggles
@10 minutes 23g Endeavour

Top up the FV with 6 litres of sanitary water. I've set it to use Mangrove Jacks M36 Liberty Bell yeast, but use whatever yeast you fancy really.

Hope it turns out ok for you if you do brew it. I've kept it simple, but feel free to add more hops at flame out/hop steep/whirlpool for more aroma and flavour. Also feel free to remove the black malt if you don't like it, I quite like the flavour it adds. The Crystal is optional too, but note that you'd need one or the other for colour.

Thrown one together just now, keep in mind though that I haven't brewed it yet, so no idea how it'll come out. Feel free to tweak. Done for an efficiency of 82%. Target OG 1.040. Target FG 1.008. Target IBUs: 31.6 Tinseth. Target Colour: 22.4 EBC. Target volume into FV: 25 litres.

Mash: BIAB, 24.33L strike water. 90 minutes @ 66 degrees C. Mash out at 75 degrees C, raising of 7 minutes, held for 10. Sparge with 3 litres @ 75 degrees C.

Crisp Maris Otter 6 EBC 3400g
Crisp Black Malt 1339 EBC 40g
Crisp Crystal Malt 150 EBC 300g
Torrefied wheat 3.3 EBC 150g

Boil for 90 minutes

@90 minutes 12g Magnum whole hops
@15 minutes 1/2 Protafloc
@10 minutes 35g Fuggles
@10 minutes 23g Endeavour

Top up the FV with 6 litres of sanitary water. I've set it to use Mangrove Jacks M36 Liberty Bell yeast, but use whatever yeast you fancy really.

Hope it turns out ok for you if you do brew it. I've kept it simple, but feel free to add more hops at flame out/hop steep/whirlpool for more aroma and flavour. Also feel free to remove the black malt if you don't like it, I quite like the flavour it adds. The Crystal is optional too, but note that you'd need one or the other for colour.

Here's my version based on your recipe. Had to adjust it slightly due to lower batch size and different yeast, but added some sugar to target the same FG. Also kept the same amount of flavour hops and reduced the bitter hop to target the same IBU. Won't get a chance to brew it for a couple of weeks as I'll be heading overseas for a while, so if you do yours first, let me know how it turns out!

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 26.68 l
Post Boil Volume: 20.83 l
Batch Size (fermenter): 19.00 l
Bottling Volume: 18.00 l
Estimated OG: 1.041 SG
Estimated Color: 11.6 SRM
Estimated IBU: 31.6 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 78.9 %
Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
2.60 kg Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM) Grain 1 80.5 %
0.30 kg Caramel/Crystal Malt - 80L (80.0 SRM) Grain 2 9.3 %
0.10 kg Wheat, Flaked (1.6 SRM) Grain 3 3.1 %
0.03 kg Black (Patent) Malt (500.0 SRM) Grain 4 0.9 %
0.20 kg Dememera Sugar (2.0 SRM) Sugar 5 6.2 %
7.00 g Magnum [13.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 6 13.6 IBUs
35.00 g Fuggles [4.50 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 7 7.8 IBUs
20.00 g Endeavour [10.30 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 8 10.2 IBUs
1.0 pkg London Ale III (Wyeast Labs #1318) Yeast 9 -

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge
Total Grain Weight: 3.23 kg
----------------------------
Name Description Step Temp Step Time
Mash In Add 8.90 l of water at 72.4 C 66.7 C 60 min
Mash out Heat to 77.0 C 77.0 C 10 min

Sparge: Batch sparge with 2 steps (7.97l, 13.84l) of 75.6 C water

Looks good to me.

Feel free to switch the Magnum for more Fuggles by the way. I just specified Magnum as it's what I bittered my endeavour ale with, and I have lots of it still. lol Fuggles is perfectly workable as a bittering hop. :thumb:

Just received some magnum hops for''my'next brew I may just make one addition at 60 mins as im going for a porter

M muncher
Is adding the dememera necessary

Just received some magnum hops for''my'next brew I may just make one addition at 60 mins as im going for a porter

M muncher
Is adding the dememera necessary

Sorry, been busy moving house for a while but gonna make this one at the weekend. Did you make the porter BeerisGOD?

I'd say the dememera isn't really necessary, but this yeast can leave it a bit sweet so I usually add some type of sugar to dry it out a bit. I might change it for regular table sugar instead of dememera so there is no flavor impact.

Yeah please do!

So I made this beer a while ago. In hind sight, I would leave out the dry hop as it gave it a grassy flavour that probably didn't do the beer any favours. Saying that, the beer still went down well and was polished off within a couple of weeks. I'd say with a bit of tweaking I could make it into a pretty good beer! I still have some Boadicea hops, so maybe I'll try again over the next few weeks.

Sorry, been busy moving house for a while but gonna make this one at the weekend. Did you make the porter BeerisGOD?

I'd say the dememera isn't really necessary, but this yeast can leave it a bit sweet so I usually add some type of sugar to dry it out a bit. I might change it for regular table sugar instead of dememera so there is no flavor impact.
Hope the move went ok always stressful

Yes I made a coffee porter
Will need another month to mellow out though went a bit over board with the beans
Keeping my beers simple now

Have you found time to got a brew on?

The Pilgrim hopped old ale is now quite mellow and has changed (not sure for the better but not for the worse), the pineapple has faded and the more publicised peach flavour is there. The citrus notes are the predominant flavours/aromas then the after taste turns peachy, very refreshing.
Hope your Golden ale turns out just as surprisingly good!

I held off updating about this beer for a while, because to be honest, I didn't really like it at the start. After carbonation, it came out pretty sweet, with some tropical notes but I'd say the combination of the pineapple in the hops, plus the sweetness the yeast I used wasn't great. However, and this is a great however, after a couple of months the tropical notes died down along with the sweetness, and the beer mellowed, the peach notes came out, and this is now probably the best golden ale I've ever tasted. Ridiculously good. Smooth on the palate, balanced malt / bitterness with some residual sweetness the yeast leaves behind, and that lovely peach from the hops. My only regret is that I'm an I am impatient brewer who doesn't like to wait for months to drink the stuff I make, and there's not much of it left now. I'll definitely be making this again, but will tweak it to try and see if I can get the flavour it has now to come out a bit earlier. Thanks for your help with this, it's turned out great!

Last edited:
Hope the move went ok always stressful

Yes I made a coffee porter
Will need another month to mellow out though went a bit over board with the beans
Keeping my beers simple now

Have you found time to got a brew on?

Hope your coffee porter turns out well. Unfortunately I'm stuck in negotiations with the wife about finding a time when I'm "allowed" to brew. Apparently I shouldn't mess up our new kitchen.... Hopefully I'll be able to get things going soon when she's out at work and doesn't know what I'm doing! I've everything ready to brew this bitter, even made the starter so definitely need to do it soon!

Last edited:
I held off updating about this beer for a while, because to be honest, I didn't really like it at the start. After carbonation, it came out pretty sweet, with some tropical notes but I'd say the combination of the pineapple in the hops, plus the sweetness the yeast I used wasn't great. However, and this is a great however, after a couple of months the tropical notes died down along with the sweetness, and the beer mellowed, the peach notes came out, and this is now probably the best golden ale I've ever tasted. Ridiculously good. Smooth on the palate, balanced malt / bitterness with some residual sweetness the yeast leaves behind, and that lovely peach from the hops. My only regret is that I'm an I am impatient brewer who doesn't like to wait for months to drink the stuff I make, and there's not much of it left now. I'll definitely be making this again, but will tweak it to try and see if I can get the flavour it has now to come out a bit earlier. Thanks for your help with this, it's turned out great!
Yes this is a good way of making life next one to use lower amounts of everything but I'm the same
I make smaller batches so I have to be careful I Don't follow a clone to the't he its a 23 litre batch
So either I go with percentages or I'll work out what half the recipe will be

I've certainly gone with a lot less specialty malts now and I've decided not to make any more experimental outlandish type beers with fruit or cacao until I've made just a normal pub quality pint that a friend or family will actually be happy to drink (as well as myself of course)

I made an IPA not so long ago
Added so many grams of dry hop it actually converted a beer into grapefruit juice
I said to myself then I wouldn't be going all he'll for leather on hops again after all I'm trying to make beer not a breakfast juice

Hope your coffee porter turns out well. Unfortunately I'm stuck in negotiations with the wife about finding a time when I'm "allowed" to brew. Apparently I shouldn't mess up our new know our kitchen.... Hopefully I'll be able to get things going soon when she's out at work and doesn't know what I'm doing! I've everything ready to brew this bitter, even made the starter so definitely need to do it soon!
No it didn't mate
And I doubt it will ever come good
I think I've gone past the point of no return with this one
I've got plenty of bottles though so I can just leave this one till Xmas so maybe then I'll try my luck with it

Yes I know what it's like I have the same problem which is why I've started making the odd kit which takes about an hour doesn't require the stove or hardly any space
It feels ive lowered my standards a bit but I've made this most recent kit using treated water, hydrated yeast, off the boil to 65c water to mix with the'extract and low end fermenting temp along with added hops to freshen it up
So fingers crossed itl come out a decent pint after a month of conditiong
I'd probably try considering it yourself until your kitchen starts to look filthy like kitchens should

Latest posts

Back