Britons cut meat-eating by 17% [Poll]

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do you eat as much red meat as you did 10 years ago?

• I eat more than i did 10 years ago.

• I eat as much as i did 10 years ago.

• I don't eat as much as i did 10 years ago.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Chippy_Tea

Administrator.
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I never really gave it much thought but having heard this on the radio i realised we now eat far more white meat than red not because red is considered more dangerous but because we are not that keen on red meat, we rarely have a joint of meat in fact i cannot remember the last time we had one, we like Waberthwaite Cumberland Sausage and occasional burger and anything made with beef mince (chilli con carne etc) but that's about it.

Do you still eat a lot of red meat or have your eating habits changed over the years.

The amount of meat consumed in the UK each day has fallen by almost a fifth over the last decade, according to a new study.
The Oxford University study used data from the National Diet and Nutrition Survey to assess changes in the consumption of red, white, and processed meat from 2008-09 to 2018-19.
Researchers found average daily meat consumption per capita dropped from 103.7g to 86.3g, which is a decrease of about 17%.
Red meat consumption fell by 13.7g, while processed meat consumption dropped by 7g, but Britons were eating 3.2g more white meat per day than a decade ago, the study found.

British daily meat consumption down nearly a fifth in a decade - study | UK News | Sky News

Last edited:
Woops, I voted for the `as much as' option as I didn't spot the red in the title. Actually eat much more red meat now as we're eating our own sheep most of the time.

I've cut down on my red meat, now just limited to bacon on a Sunday and the odd sausage/burger on the bbq.
But instead when I do I splash out and get a steak, it's a STEAK. Local butchers have dry cured 50 day aged of various cuts and obvs butcher it to the size you want. But that's few and far between.
Would rather have fish or chicken with a really good rub or sauce tbh most of the time.

I have given up on supermarket meat, we now use an online place the price is a bit more but the quality is unbelievable particularly pork and chicken beef is to die for, i have even started cutting a full chicken up legs off wings and breasts then making stock with the carcass, but i do have the time

Woops, I voted for the `as much as' option as I didn't spot the red in the title. Actually eat much more red meat now as we're eating our own sheep most of the time.

Do you butcher your own sheep or does someone else do it for you?

Do you eat more or less red meat?
Pretty much the same.
I used to be a QA manager in a meat processing plant - still have some contacts there!
Had a cracking rib-eye a couple of nights ago...
A friend dropped round a couple of kilos of venison yesterday too, but it's frozen, so I guess I'll have to eat it all in one sitting!

As a family, we've decided to reduce our meat consumption, but chicken has mainly been the victim. Why bother with it? It's only there as a vehicle for the sauce. Use something else, halloumi or falafel or whatever. Lamb, duck, pork, bacon, however, cut down but not out. Feeling a bit sad that Boris Bellend has screwed it up for Christmas so goose is unlikely.

Not read up on the news on Xmas shortages. I guess this is more a supermarket issues. Luckily my two local butchers don't seem to have issues sourcing Xmas meats, they have already started taking orders.

We have 68 million sheep, 26 million beef cattle in Australia, but because there is a demand for both on the export market they are outrageously expensive. I remember when lamb shanks were almost given away to be fed to the dog. We have a couple of million camel which are good eating. 4 million wild horses also good eating, though usually shot for dog food. 25 million feral pigs which ironically are poisoned using sodium nitrate which is used to cure bacon. (apparently pigs can't handle sodium nitrate in their bodies, they eat the bait go to sleep and don't wake up, so very humane) Now Buffalo is something I want to get onto my plate, but again, while cheap it goes for export. Here is a short clip from Landline, similar to Countrywide but Adrian Phillips doesn't pull any punches and there are a few profanities but the abridged version is here.https://m.facebook.com/LandlineABC/videos/is-buffalo-the-new-wagyu-landline/4363684180347478/ The Buffalo curd is out of this world a favourite sweet in Asia.

Do you butcher your own sheep or does someone else do it for you?
We get it done by a local butchers based on a nearby farm. We take them the sheep and they take a trailer full to the slaughterhouse. They get the carcasses back and cut them up as we want them - everything packaged up ready for the freezer. Although we eat a lot of it ourselves we also sell a lot to friends.
Or at least we have been - prices at the mart are so high ATM that it probably isn'y worthwhile.

I'm eating the same - I've been vegetarian for the last 30+ years. What has changed, however, is that it is now really easy to go completely plant based which I have done for the last 2 and a bit years. Meat alternatives are just getting better and better so if you're toying with reducing your consumption give a few a go. The Co-Ops Gro Incredible Burger is my current favourite.

I stopped eating meat for health reasons 7 years ago. Used to get small fluttering spasms in my gut. Not any more. People ask do you feel better for it? Apart from the spasms not happening, I feel the same, which I think is good..... no better no worse.
And as time has passed I am happy I am not eating animals. But I am not into trying to stop other people eating meat.... It tastes good. Everyone to their own.......

I think the reason meat consumption has fallen is cost.

I LOVE a nice juicy rump steak,But its at least 5yrs since i have had one.

Pasta is the order of the day now,Only thing is I am starting to look like a noodle😔

Meat eater for 51 years. Went vegetarian 2 years ago when I thought my daughter was old enough to make the choice for herself. We discussed it and both decided to go veggy. I don't miss meat at all now. There are so many options out there these days.

I have a roast every 1 or 2 months, which is often lamb or chicken. I hardly ever eat meat, particularly not beef as it is so dense.

To me there is almost no difference between a meat sausage and a veggie one so that was an easy swap. Yesterday we tried the plant chef mushroom stuff ones they sell in Tesco, those are quite good.

Veggie burgers are usually much nicer than beef ones, I think particularly Linda McCartney's mozzarella one and the Beyond meat one, especially with a fried egg on top.

Currently I have a mild obsession with roasted cauliflower, I just think it's awesome lol.

chicken has mainly been the victim. Why bother with it? It's only there as a vehicle for the sauce.
Gave up eating concentration camp chicken a good number of years ago. Agree with Scratterjack that it was just something to hold the sauce together. Free range chicken, on the other hand is quite a different kettle of feathers: it's got flavour and you actually have to chew the meat.

Back