Brown Ales

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've never blended beers as they've been either palatable or "top shelf out of the way and see if they improve" (they usually do).

However, if I was to do it I think I would probably work out A) Whether it was worthwhile. and B) What the ratio should be. by mixing small measures (using the calibrated Trial Jar that I use for SG readings) and tasting it.

I would also take notes of each blend and give it 15 minutes or so between tastings to clear my palate.

Hope this helps.:gulp:

Mmmm... Aldi have a brown ale in their look a like range, 'North Bridge Brown Ale'. Going to have to try this, as some of the reviews says its a 'poor imitation' of Newkie. Given how appalling that is now, I struggle to believe Marstons have managed that! Mind you, some of the reviews say its like Newkie used to be ~ so its got to be worth a £1.20 gamble.

Coming back to Newcastle Brown Ale for a moment; lots of the all grain clone recipes on the net talk about brewing two ales - an old ale and a 'young' Amber Ale, and blending them (e.g. here), as this is how the commercial; product is made. Is (or more probably, was) that true, or is it an urban myth. Anyone know?
Just had a bottle of this, again, for research purposes only, and it's better than the last Newcastle Brown I had, but still very average and commercial. Not completely unpleasant however.

The search goes on....

Got hold of a couple of bottles of Maxim Double Maxim, trying one now. Its closer to what I'm after, reminds me a little more of the brown ales of my youth. However, it also reminds me on one level of a very average bitter, if that makes sense. Perhaps it will improve if I have another...

Got hold of a couple of bottles of Maxim Double Maxim, trying one now. Its closer to what I'm after, reminds me a little more of the brown ales of my youth. However, it also reminds me on one level of a very average bitter, if that makes sense. Perhaps it will improve if I have another...
Try and get hold of Maximus. Double's younger, stronger bretheren. Me and a mate had a full session on that one day, it wasn't pretty.

I agree with everyone so far - Broon is not a patch on what it used to be 30 odd years ago. There was a distinct change when brewing was moved from the Newcastle Brewery in the Gallowgate to the Fed Brewery next to the Metro Centre and there is even more of a change now. I remember drinking bottles of Dog and Fed Special in the student union bar as I didn't like what they had on tap.

Broon is now a bland shadow of its former self and its decline can be linked with the sale of S&N to whoever now owns the brand and the push into the US market (Leonard can even be seen drinking it from the bottle in episodes of the Big Bang Theory so Americans must think it is 'cool').

Where is the line drawn between brown ale and porter as Aldi also have a coffee porter in 330ml bottles which is not bad. I think it's called Spill the Beans. Some people also class Riggwelter as a brown ale but I think it is more a strong bitter somewhere between Black Sheep Bitter and Theakston's Old Peculier

Aldi's North Bridge brown ale is so obviously an attempt to produce a clone of Newcastle brown. It's pretty similar and even the label is reminiscent. Just cheaper.

Latest posts

Back