Brown Bottles

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Longhead23

Reaction score
I am sure that this question has been asked before on numerous occasions, but I cannot find the answer. Maybe I haven't looked hard enough.

Where is the best place to buy 500ml brown bottles?

Thanks in advance.

Most forumites just re-use commercial bottles. The likes of Morrison’s often have bottles of beer for <£1, and when I’ve looked into buying brand new glass bottles it worked out at about 45-50p each for the volumes I was looking to buy.

If you want brand new and don’t mind using plastic bottles, the Coopers Oxybar PET ones are decent. The likes of Balihoo have them 24 for £9.99

I am sure that this question has been asked before on numerous occasions, but I cannot find the answer. Maybe I haven't looked hard enough.

Where is the best place to buy 500ml brown bottles?

Thanks in advance.
Here's a cheap source that most of our homebrew club use. Not sure how much they charge for delivery, as they are local, so they collect.

£2.99 for a box of 12.

http://www.staffordshirebrewery.co.uk/bottlescaps/

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

As mick said, buy beer and drink it!

took me a while to get enough but after buying 4-5 bottles a week to drink, and sample various styles etc I have a good collection of about 100. add to that 72 cooper pet bottles and a heap of 1l plastic soda water bottles I have bottle stored everywhere I can find a hole and corner.

so in answer to your question, buy beer and drink it.

if you must buy,

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/100-X-50...OMEBREW-NEW-/251578221265?hash=item3a933b02d1

seems about as cheap as you can get.

Wait until recycling day and just wander round rummaging through peoples ‘glass’ box, in an hour or so you can easily collect 100 for nothing.

I’ve done it a couple of times and I’ve found you’ll come across the odd house that’ll have loads in and don’t even bother putting the lids on the box so you don’t even have to rummage :D

Oh, and of course you can be selective on size and colour...

As above, buy them full, drink and refill. I did buy a job lot of 100 I think, when I first started, which I split with a friend to keep the cost down. You will tend to find unsurprisingly the more you buy the cheaper they are.

The best think is to do some Googling.

Hi!
I'm lucky enough to be able to get bottles from my local club - I ask the bar staff to put the Old Mout empties to one side for me.
It does help that I'm treasurer of the club :D
Try your local pubs - they may tell you to naff off, but they may be helpful.
One further thing - I was advised to buy a bench capper if re-using commercial bottles.

I don't know about this business of buying full bottles, it's still cheaper to buy empty ones and fill them yourself. During the last eBay sale this seller had packs of 40 clear and/or brown 500ml bottles for £12.00 delivered. It's so cheap I thought it was a mistake but they arrived no problem, nice heavy quality bottles too. Nothing like that at the minute but worth bookmarking and checking back once in a while,

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/40-x-500m...m=132072224436&_trksid=p2060778.c100290.m3507

Many members have asked their local pub if they can take empties and i cannot remember anyone saying they were not allowed to in fact many say the landlord is happy to get the bin emptied.

I don't know about this business of buying full bottles, it's still cheaper to buy empty ones and fill them yourself.

Totally. I'll buy beer I want to drink and keep the bottle, not sure I see the benefit in buying and drinking cheap/mediocre commercial beer just because I need some bottles. When you have a bench capper there is also something satisfying in having a batch of uniform bottles to work with.

Totally. I'll buy beer I want to drink and keep the bottle, not sure I see the benefit in buying and drinking cheap/mediocre commercial beer just because I need some bottles. When you have a bench capper there is also something satisfying in having a batch of uniform bottles to work with.
I buy beers from the Badger brewery form Aldi. Decent beer, free bottle and all the same shape (some clear, some brown), so ideal for the bench capper. Best of all worlds.

I don't know about this business of buying full bottles, it's still cheaper to buy empty ones and fill them yourself. During the last eBay sale this seller had packs of 40 clear and/or brown 500ml bottles for £12.00 delivered. It's so cheap I thought it was a mistake but they arrived no problem, nice heavy quality bottles too. Nothing like that at the minute but worth bookmarking and checking back once in a while,

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/40-x-500ml-Amber-Beer-Glass-Bottles-with-Crown-Caps-Pack-of-6-40/132072224436?_trkparms=aid=111001&algo=REC.SEED&ao=1&asc=20160727114228&meid=2d4284b62725424287995543fba6dd3c&pid=100290&rk=1&rkt=4&sd=132072224436&itm=132072224436&_trksid=p2060778.c100290.m3507

Even without the sale 40 for about 15 quid delivered is very good value. Thanks for the tip!

PET bottles from Malt Miller. Work a treat but had to wait until I had a big order as the postage would be £6 I think

Wait until recycling day and just wander round rummaging through peoples ‘glass’ box, in an hour or so you can easily collect 100 for nothing.

Good advice. When I used to walk the nippa to school a few years back, I was astounded at how many shameless alcoholics lived on our street, judging by the colossal number of beer and wine bottles in their glass recycling container. Dunno if the opportunity to harvest them still exists, as they might all have developed cirrhosis and died by now.

If you're going down the PET route, I found it was cheaper to buy some multipacks of either 500ml or 1l fizzy water from the supermarket and throw the contents away (or use to check the integrity of a pressure barrel) than buying empty ones. Daft really. Can get green ones.

I'm currently stockpiling glass fizzy water bottles from an office that are 750ml each. Only downside is they're clear bottles so will need to keep them in the dark when full.

Only downside is they're clear bottles so will need to keep them in the dark when full.
And it's hardly a chore. Everyone's "oh must get brown bottles else you get your beer all funked up by the light", but how many of us actually leave our beer sitting about in the sunshine?

Latest posts

Back