Brown malt a dying grain?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've never used brown malt but reading Ron Pattisons blog and books suggests what we know as Brown malt isn't directly substitutable for what was used in historical recipes?

I’d go Bramling Cross or maybe Phoenix.

What are you planning on making?
It ended up being a porter (45 IBU)And i did have some bramling cross but didnt see ur message till after but i think i didnt make a bad choice going with ekg in the end (challenger for bittering)
1.070 was quite a high reading but im hoping the m44 mangrove will do its job well. Yes i know its not prob the right yeast but all i had. What will be will be.

Thanks to all the posts im glad i used the brown and will be ordering more

It ended up being a porter (45 IBU)And i did have some bramling cross but didnt see ur message till after but i think i didnt make a bad choice going with ekg in the end (challenger for bittering)
1.070 was quite a high reading but im hoping the m44 mangrove will do its job well. Yes i know its not prob the right yeast but all i had. What will be will be.

Thanks to all the posts im glad i used the brown and will be ordering more

Nothing wrong with your choices, M44 is a good all rounder for most ales.

As others have already said, brown malt is used in Fuller's London Porter, and also GH's Brown Porter (which is quite similar, and very tasty!).

I've recently made a couple of porters along these lines using brown malt (have a look in my brew day thread for AG#38 & 39 of your interested)

After I first made the GH Porter last year I used the leftover brown malt in an ESB. The recipe was about 9% brown malt, bittered with Simcoe and then EKG & Fuggles for flavour, aroma & dry hop.

It was good enough from the get go, but after a bit longer conditioning (a month or two) the flavour of the brown malt really rounded off - it ended up absolutely superb with the flavours of the hops and malt perfectly balanced :beer1:

I'd happily make it the same again, or to avoid quite such a long conditioning time I might be tempted to dial the brown malt back a bit to maybe 5, 6, 7%.

Good luck athumb..
Ill stick the gigures in brewersfriend calc later and see what the percentage was. Fingers crossed its around the 5 or 6 mark
Nothing wrong with your choices, M44 is a good all rounder for most ales.
Its also a belter when it gets going. Im going to be monitoring the temp all day as its still holding 22.5C since this morning just with a bodywarmer round it. So im assuming something good is happening with the room temp around 17C

Ill stick the gigures in brewersfriend calc later and see what the percentage was. Fingers crossed its around the 5 or 6 mark

Its also a belter when it gets going. Im going to be monitoring the temp all day as its still holding 22.5C since this morning just with a bodywarmer round it. So im assuming something good is happening with the room temp around 17C
Well since you made a porter in the end don't sweat it too much - the two porters I made recently were 9 & 12% brown malt. They were also much lower strength and starting gravity, starting around 1.040 and ending up a shade under 4% ABV.

I love brown malt in a stout they seem to be missing something without it for me. I just brewed an 1850s porter which is 17% brown malt, still conditioning but the sneaky sample after 3 weeks in the bottle was very promising. I find brown malt takes an extra couple of weeks to mellow out.

Back