Brown malt a dying grain?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeerisGOD

Landlord.
Reaction score
Hello all.
Is brown malt now not a grain of choice anymore. I tried finding threads on it but not much came up.
What i did note is not to use too much.
Im planning a maris otter and brown malt beer later withsome challenger and east kent goldings.
Is anyone using this malt lately and have they had good results?

I use it in Porters and Milds. I am currently thinking about brewing a brown ale with it, loosely based on GW's Sam Smith's Nut brown, but subbing out some of the amber and crystal with brown to dry it out a bit and make it more biscuity.

What?! I use it all the time and rarely let my stock of it fall much below 5Kg.

I use it in porters, stouts, and brown ales.
Me too. And sometimes in milds and in rauchbier. How can you make a porter without Brown Malt?
This is encouraging as ive added more dark malts. Choc and roasted barley. Used challenger for bittering just deciding on aroma hops. EKG, Amarillo, chinook ?
Come on fellas give me some pointers

Hello all.
Is brown malt now not a grain of choice anymore. I tried finding threads on it but not much came up.
What i did note is not to use too much.
Im planning a maris otter and brown malt beer later withsome challenger and east kent goldings.
Is anyone using this malt lately and have they had good results?
Brown, like Amber malt is not really used in the really hoppy and especially american style beers. It's ideally suited to some of the "old-fashioned" English style beers especially porter. I think that before drying the malt became a fine art (before the advent of coke) quite few darker malts were produced almost at random and it was a more a case of making a beer with what you had rather than finding the malt to make your beer, so darker beers were more common. But if you want to make these styles, you need the malt for the job, which in many cases is brown. Back in the day, I understand, Brown was a diastatic malt!

This is encouraging as ive added more dark malts. Choc and roasted barley. Used challenger for bittering just deciding on aroma hops. EKG, Amarillo, chinook ?
Come on fellas give me some pointers
It's a personal choice, but I wouldn't use American hops. EKG is your boy. Fuggles, WGV, or Bramling Cross would be good, too. Go easy on the chocolate, the combination with brown could be a bit overpowering.

As others have already said, brown malt is used in Fuller's London Porter, and also GH's Brown Porter (which is quite similar, and very tasty!).

I've recently made a couple of porters along these lines using brown malt (have a look in my brew day thread for AG#38 & 39 of your interested)

After I first made the GH Porter last year I used the leftover brown malt in an ESB. The recipe was about 9% brown malt, bittered with Simcoe and then EKG & Fuggles for flavour, aroma & dry hop.

It was good enough from the get go, but after a bit longer conditioning (a month or two) the flavour of the brown malt really rounded off - it ended up absolutely superb with the flavours of the hops and malt perfectly balanced :beer1:

I'd happily make it the same again, or to avoid quite such a long conditioning time I might be tempted to dial the brown malt back a bit to maybe 5, 6, 7%.

Good luck athumb..

Back