Brown malt

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sarenth

Reaction score
I am trying to formulate a recipe for a mild, does anyone know if brown malt contributes any fermentable sugars?

cheers

That's helped a lot, thanks. My current recipe would have been to strong for a mild.
I think I'm going to use about 6% brown.

2.8 pale malt
0.1 crystal 60
0.3 chocolate
0.2 brown

does that look ok?

What's the brewlength btw

"Technically" your making a brown porter if your OG is above 1.035. As a beer with your ingredients (in particular the brown malt) would be considered a brown porter. But of course, it's your beer you call it and put what ever you want in it

I currently use a BIAB method in a cooler. (haven't modified the cooler yet) so the total mash time is 60 minutes, with additional 20mins on second running's.

Adjusted the the base malt to 2.7kg to fit the OG, although I cant say I have tasted let alone made a brown porter. So I might stick with original and try something new, although it depends how I feel when I come to brew.

Thanks for the advice.

I currently use a BIAB method in a cooler. (haven't modified the cooler yet) so the total mash time is 60 minutes, with additional 20mins on second running's.

Adjusted the the base malt to 2.7kg to fit the OG, although I cant say I have tasted let alone made a brown porter. So I might stick with original and try something new, although it depends how I feel when I come to brew.

Sorry, when I say brewlength, how many litres will the final brew be?

Being a Londoner have you tasted Fullers London Porter? That's a classic brown porter with brown malt in it. Brown malt has quite a disctinctive taste.

I will be doing a 23l batch, give or take a litre.

Aah, Yes I've drank that. I suppose I actually know the flavour then.

Haven't had a chance to taste the brown malt itself will most likley remind myself the flavour come brew time.

I will be doing a 23l batch, give or take a litre.

Aah, Yes I've drank that. I suppose I actually know the flavour then.

Haven't had a chance to taste the brown malt itself will most likley remind myself the flavour come brew time.

Check it out before you use too muc, brown malt used to be a big component for porters originally but seldom used now so be careful to try before overloading asit may not suit modern tastes but also may be right down your street!!

Try this linkhttp://byo.com/hops/item/1751-brown-malt for info

Check it out before you use too muc, brown malt used to be a big component for porters originally but seldom used now so be careful to try before overloading asit may not suit modern tastes but also may be right down your street!!

Try this linkhttp://byo.com/hops/item/1751-brown-malt for info

I agree you need to be careful overdoing it as I read that it can taste like chewing leather if you do. I'd disagree that it's seldom used now though.

Latest posts

Back