Brupak boiler problems

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Baffled

Reaction score
Hi all,
I've recently got all my brewing gear out of the loft and decided to start brewing again. I made an oatmeal stout using the recipe from Greg Hughes book. I have a brupak boiler
BRUPAKS%20BOILER.jpg

All was going well, had the wort in the boiler, got it up to the hot break and started my timer. Whilst it was boiling away I decided to start having a bit of a tidy up, came back about 30 mins into the boil and realised the rolling boil had stopped. Scratched my head for a few minutes, light was on so it was still getting power and then realised it must have a built in cut off. Anyway after about 15 minutes got it going again restarted the timer for about 40 mins . Went to put a protfloc tablet in with about 15 mins of boil left and boiler cut out again soon as I dropped it in. Considering this thing is called a boiler id expect it to be able to hold a boil for 60 minutes. Took it apart just now and removed the device that cuts out so it wont happen again on my next brew. Couldn't be arsed to muck about getting the boiler going again for last 15 mins of boil. Why do recipes always say to add protofloc in at 15 min mark? any harm if it doesn't get 15 mins worth of boil?

Did you have a lot of **** on the bottom. This can cause boilers to turn off. I have moved the temp sensor on my tea urn to stop it happening.

Some recipes say add the protofloc at 10 mins. You will probably be alright. If you got a decent cold break your wort would be clear when you put it in the fermenter.

Back