Brupaks Honley Mild

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'll be putting this on tomorrow and don't see a review of it. I'll be happy to report progress. Brupaks Almondbury Old was a regular before my brew break, but the HBS didn't have any in on the day I was passing. The owner suggest the Honley Mild and as I like Mild I decided to give it a go. I won't be using the full hop treatment as most milds are lightly hopped. I'll report back once we are under way.

On at 1043. Followed the basic instructions and let the hop bag steep in the water that was rinsing out one of the cans for about 10 minutes. The wort smells lovely.

A week in and we are down to about 1014, smells lovely with a nutty flavour. The smell of the fermenter was very distinctive and reminded me of other Brupaks kits I have one before - and enjoyed immensely.

15 days fermentation and kegged at 1012 giving and ABV of spot on 4%. 90g of priming sugar added and the keg put straight back into the brew-fridge at 20C for warm conditioning. I have a good feeling about how this is going to turn out.

Decided to have a tester and realised no pressure - gave a shot of gas and could hear it leaking out, so I'll re prime and bottle it in the morning. Valve seal looks to have perished. Bugger

Always worth giving it a little shot of gas immediately after kegging to see if there are any leaks. Can you flip the seal? If not they're readily available, LHBS or eBay, as they do fail.Your beer should be fine.

Turned out the main seal was twisted, I'll replace it anyway. The test shot turned out to be the last one in the cylinder so I will replace that when I next brew.

Time for a review.

In the glass - not much head, deep reddish tinge and very dark.
On the tongue - although there is not much fizz, there is no hint of flatness. Sweet, nutty taste with a hint of fruit. I took the mildest hopping option and I think that was wise. Full flavour and very quaffable.

Overall a cracking pint and thoroughly recommended.

Latest posts

Back