Bruphoria Dead Phony IPA kit review

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GhostShip

Reaction score
I love Brewdog's Dead Pony IPA - I don't know how they pack so much flavour into a beer that's only 3.8%, so thought I'd try the Bruphoria Dead Phony IPA kit.

Dead_Phoney.jpg

Kit started - 17th July
Hop tea added - 27th July
Cold crash - 31st July
Bottled - 2nd August
Move out to shed - 2nd September
First taste - 6th November

The first thing I noticed when I opened the first bottle was that it hadn't carbonated very well. I don't like very fizzy beers, but this needs more carbonation. It's not flat, but it's not far off. Secondly, there's absolutely no head at all. I have poured 5/6 over the weekend and they're all the same. I don't understand the carbonation issue, as I did what I do for every brew and have never had a problem before. It was fermented in the brew fridge at 20ºC and I used the same temperature for secondary - again, what I always do..

The flavour is actually quite good - it just doesn't look very pretty. There's a definite hop aroma (the kit uses Simcoe, Citra and Mosaic in tea bag form) and a nice bitterness at the end. That said, it's a little bit thin. For me, it's crying out for some light spraymalt, which would have given it some body and also (in my experience), a decent head. It's perfectly drinkable, which is just as well given that I've got 40 pints to get through, but I was expecting a lot more from this kit. The previous two kits I've done have been Mangrove Jacks and in both cases I added the MJ extract. There's no doubt that this gives the beer real body and I have to say, both kits were far better than the Dead Phony. I'm at the point now where given the extensive range, I see no good reason to move away from Mangrove Jacks at present.

Given the lack of carbonation and head, I'm guessing that something went slightly wrong along the way, but I have absolutely no idea what it might be. I'd love to hear from someone who's had success with this kit - anyone?

As an experiment, I unscrewed the caps off a few of these, added some sugar, and put back in the warm for a couple of weeks. Nothing to lose since my only other option was to throw them down the sink.

It’s definitely improved. Now has a (small) head, some carbonation and is actually not an unpleasant pint. I think I’ll now do the same with all of the bottles and maybe leave them a bit longer.

I’ll probably do this one again at some stage, if only in fairness to the kit producers. It’s unfair to criticise the kit because something has clearly gone wrong along the way - and that could well be down to me. The flavours are actually very promising.

Latest posts

Back