Brussels sprout wine experiment

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There is a vegetarian curry place in Brighton which does eat all you can eat for a fiver. I haven't been for a while but I remember brussel sprout curry was on the menu at the time , and surprisingly it wasn't bad at all...believe it or not :laugh:
That isn't particularly surprising to me, in fact I reckon sprouts would be good in a veg curry.

What would surprise me, greatly, is if they make a drinkable wine! :?:

^^^^ Must be better cooks than me then. Funny thing is I still like sprouts, but wouldn't go out of my way to have them in a curry again. Although I have cooked parsnip curry, which is really nice. Parsnip wine might be good though.

Sprout wine might be ok if the bitter taste can be subdued!

Although I have cooked parsnip curry, which is really nice. Parsnip wine might be good though.

I've been trying to read up on fruit and veg wines lately, apparently parsnip wine is supposed to be pretty good! I won't be convinced until I try it though and there's only one way I'm going to get that chance. It's next on the list!

After 2 weeks initial ferment i have now strained through muslin cloth and transfered to DJ.
Smell reminds me a bit of Sauerkraut. Colour like Gingerbeer
27721152_10215612459483388_2146507041_n.jpg

Highlight the text you want to quote and you'll get a drop-down menu with two items "+ Quote" and "Reply".
Choose the latter and a new reply box opens with the quotation in it, ready for your reply.
That's what I've just done - but the drop down menu is totally unreadable, blue text on a purpley-grey background. I only know where to click because on a previous post about this someone said it was the right hand one you click. I've no idea what the left one is...

Quote - another method to quote either a full post or part of it is to open this drop down using the icon below click quote and paste the post or part of it between - [ QUOTE] & [/QUOTE] you will not see the gap i had to add it to make QUOTE appear in this post.

quote.jpg

Just racked for the first time. I know i probably should have done it before now.
Smell . Still like sauerkraut but not as strong as before.
Colour . Like urine.
Taste. Not feeling brave enough for that yet.

Reference earlier posts, parsnip wine can be excellent (and it tastes nothing like parsnips). If you add bananas and sultanas to it, you get more body without affecting the taste. I've tried two batches I've made this winter on various people and none of them have come anywhere close to guessing the ingredients. The colour's very good too.

Likewise beetroot. Nothing in the finished article would suggest beet. Even the colour (which starts off a vivid, almost fluorescent, red) calms down to a rich ruby by bottling time. I'm told it goes to a muddy brown if you expose to excess sunlight, but it's never been in my glass long enough to find out.

I'm intrigued by sprout wine but I think that may just be a step too far.

The saga continues.
Just racked for the 3rd time.
Now Bottled ( well bagged and boxed)
Sauerkraut smell has gone.
Finally plucked up the courage to taste it. Almost like a dry white wine.
Feeling a lot more optimistic about it now.
Next update will be after crimbo 2018 .Maturating till then.

The day of reckoning

Took 2 bottles to family Crimbo dinner . Only 8 people were willing to give it a try and all of them were pleasantly surprised.
RESULT !!
One thing i would add if making again would be a little citric acid.

I BET it turns out ok.!!!!

I have raised a few eyebrows on this forum recounting some of the things my dad made wine from.

Some of the most "disgusting" ingrediants often only needed a little time to mature.:beer1:

Latest posts

Back