Bucket Frothing Over

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ross Bacon

Reaction score
Hi All

I'm currently doing a brew and my bucket is frothing over, see picture.
This has never happened to me before, what do I do? please can you help

Thanks

Ross

Attachments

• IMG_3636.jpg
    IMG_3636.jpg
    22.8 KB · Views: 82
If it keeps on doing it, maybe your best bet is to make a blow off tube with some syphon tubing and a bottle of sanitised fluid (not anything you wouldn't want in your brew) just pop the tube into where your airlock is and the bottle below the or at the side of your FV, any probs just ask.

Crack the lid at one edge to allow the excess krausen to seep out, having covered that with a clean towel or similar. Put something under the FV to catch the drips. When the krausen stops oozing out clean everything up, reseal the lid and re-instate your airlock.
I went off using blow off tubes since the tube itself got blocked on a couple of occasions (even though I thought the tube diameter was more than adequate) and there was nowhere for the CO2 and excess krausen to go so the FV ballooned up. There are videos on Youtube of FVs that have exploded and thats something I wanted to avoid.

I always use a blowoff tube, just in case. However, you don't really want the krausen overflowing on a regular basis as it just increases the risk of infection or a really messy clear up exercise. Better to get a bigger bucket. They are cheap as chips.

20200621_140230.jpg

This was my last brew, shallow lake of beer on top of the FV the morning after I'd pitched the yeast. Decided it was the ideal time for first dry hop. 😉

Yes - this has happened to me once in the 7 brews I have done since starting over recently

I have a great place in my Kitchen where the temp (in the cupboard) is usually around 21c - but for some reason the fermentation did not look as though it had started so I took FV out and placed in next to a radiator - and boom overnight that is exactly what I got too

I cleaned it up and the beer was still good to my laymans taste so I expect yours will be ok too

Back