Budget Kettle Elements

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mdex

Reaction score
My ageing plastic boiler has 2 tesco kettle elements that must be almost 10 years old. Both are worse for wear with too much burnt on wort.

I want to replace them without breaking the bank. Are the elements from budget kettles still a viable option?

If not I've seen some 'bigger' lwd elements that I think might fit so I'm looking for suggestions on what others have used please.

Thanks in advance.

I've considered making a cheapo boiler myself at some point or another but I gather Tesco don't sell Value kettles anymore.

Found these on the Currys website that look similar and could undoubtedly have their elements extracted: Kettle

Seems a sensible approach to just replace them like for like especially if you got 10 years out of the last ones.

My ageing plastic boiler has 2 tesco kettle elements that must be almost 10 years old. Both are worse for wear with too much burnt on wort.

I want to replace them without breaking the bank. Are the elements from budget kettles still a viable option?

If not I've seen some 'bigger' lwd elements that I think might fit so I'm looking for suggestions on what others have used please.

Thanks in advance.
Hi, just looking for some advice. Did you scrub clean your elements after each boil?

I've got a single kettle element and it's got black burnt on wort that I'm currently trying to scrub and soak off with vinegar and citric powder. I'm concerned that the burnt coating could fry the element or off flavour the beer. Whats your experience?

(not for those who are of a snowflake disposition or are h&s inspectors)

Put just enough water in to cover the elements and a dishwasher tablet. Old fashioned cheapo tablet, not the silly 3 core liquid fancy pants marketing bs types.

Bring it to the boil and leave for 5 minutes. Then give the elements a scrub with a long handled scrubbing brush. Wear marigolds if you must.
They will come up sparkling make, sparkling!

Same thing works for the inside glass on your oven door. Get the oven to 100c and turn off, wet the dishwasher tab so it starts going soft and rub it on the glass and sprinkle water on it. Lots of smelly steam, but you can then run a pallet knife or Stanley blade across it and it will be completely clean.

Back