Budget Pressure Barrels

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Perrin_Abara

Reaction score
I've had a couple of snags in the past when my barrel hasn't pressurised after priming, I have put this down to over tightening and warping the seals. Are any other common faults with the budget barrels?

Yep u got suckered!
I bought 2 thinking they are the best investment
But no they are only good for low carbed beers
Stout and bitters
It's a pity cos the style and idea Is great
All I got was a creamy head ,clear beer ,but no fizz
U can use plumbing tape and vaseline to ensure no leaks
But u will not get a fizzy pint
Sorry to say but corny the only way

Finger tighten only when u feel a little pressure on o ring stop u think it's not tight but it is with pressure pushing from inside
Dont screw till u cant no more look at your o rings when tightening soon as it's not being squashed stop

I’d also add IMO fit a 0-30 psi pressure gauge whatever PB you use. Takes all the guesswork out of “is it leaking?”, “is it carbonating?”, “what pressure is it, 3 or 10 psi?”.

I've had PBs with leaky cap seals, pressure relief valves, split seams, cracks elsewhere on the top, cracked cap, leaky taps...
I do have one from Wilkos which seems as good as the old Boots ones but have only used it a few times. And yes, the tap drips a bit.

In view of what's been said above, what are you trying to carb up? My Boots PB claim a max pressure of 15 psi, which is good enough for most ales and stouts, I would have thought. If you want something fizzier like lagers then I'd recommend bottling. Unless you want to go to kegs, of course.
Never had any trouble with my Boots PBs, by the way. A bit of vaseline on the O-rings and don't overtighten.

Yep u got suckered!
I bought 2 thinking they are the best investment
But no they are only good for low carbed beers
Stout and bitters
It's a pity cos the style and idea Is great
All I got was a creamy head ,clear beer ,but no fizz
U can use plumbing tape and vaseline to ensure no leaks
But u will not get a fizzy pint
Sorry to say but corny the only way
yes, that's all I use them for anyway. when they work they are fantastic, I just didn't know so much could go wrong with them

In view of what's been said above, what are you trying to carb up? My Boots PB claim a max pressure of 15 psi, which is good enough for most ales and stouts, I would have thought. If you want something fizzier like lagers then I'd recommend bottling. Unless you want to go to kegs, of course.
Never had any trouble with my Boots PBs, by the way. A bit of vaseline on the O-rings and don't overtighten.

Thanks for the advice. I don't really make lagers so my budget barrels will serve a purpose. Do people still use them for all grain brews?

Thanks for the advice. I don't really make lagers so my budget barrels will serve a purpose. Do people still use them for all grain brews?
Absolutely. As far as the barrel's concerned, there's no difference. Just half fill your barrel with water to start with, gas it up and make sure it holds pressure overnight. If not, check the joints and seals with water the same way as you'd look for a puncture in a bicycle tyre.

If the gods are good I will have my faith restored. I have an all grain bitter in one as we speak as well as Youngs mocha porter in another so fingers crossed. :beer1:

Just a word of warning, if you pressurise your barrel that’s half full of water with CO2 you will get a significant pressure drop overnight as a consequence of the CO2 being absorbed by the water. Best to spray with soapy water all the possible leak spots immediately after pressurising OR pressurise with air (you’ll need an additional valve - Schrader valve).

Regarding the pressure gauge, this is available on ebay...
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/King-Keg...070103?hash=item446db0a857:g:9TAAAOSw409deXHw
or if you know what you want you can get the bits from...
https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/cpmpneumatics

So, ended up getting a king keg and buying a pressure gauge. I half filled with water and fired a co2 cylinder in, but I think most of the air escaped before it even went in. The valve is the piercing pin type. It did pressurise to about 3 psi but leaked. I'm so worried about over tightening I think I may be under tightening .
also I hear that the square o seals are better than the rounded ones? These barrels are proving a lot of hassle asad.

If you're using 8 gram bulbs of CO2 I'd be inclined to fill your KK at least 3/4 full so you have less space to pressurise. N.B. CO2 will dissolve into the water giving you the impression that it's leaking when it's not. Having pressurised with CO2 spray soapy water over the S30 valve as that is the usual culprit for leaks.
If you want to leak test by checking the pressure, fit a Schrader valve in the lid (requires an 8mm hole) and inflate with air using a foot pump or car tyre pump.

Back