Buffalo 40 litre boil off rate

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paul3944

Reaction score
Just got myself a 40 Litre Buffalo boiler for £60 from Nisbetts EBay clearance shop. :)

Been fiddling with Beersmith Mobile in preparation for my first brew and have created a equipment profile to get me going which I will adjust in due course.

Can anyone give me a good starting point to use for the boil off rate?

Many thanks
Paul

For a 90 minute boil I work on a 15% loss. I'm sure others do it differently, but 5% every 30 minutes seems to be the consensus on a lot of the calculators around and about. Lots of variables though - diameter of pot, ambient temperature, how vigorous the boil is....

My buffalo cc193 arrived today. I would also be interested in its boil off rate per hour, just to save me doing an hour boil.
I'm really happy with it £50 from nisbets on ebay!

Many thanks for the info!

At least this will give me reference point then all I need to do is fine tune the rate.

£50 & £60 on Nisbets eBay? How did you guys manage that? They're currently wanting ~£150 for a refurbished 30L Buffalo on that site...

Is it just a case of keep looking and 'make an offer' if something pops up? :wha:

Yeah. Check their eBay items every couple of days. Mine popped up for a buy it now of £79.99 and they accepted £50.

I've just finished my first brew and the boil off rate for the CC193 was about 12% per hour.

I fitted a ball valve tap and bazooka.
I used a 20mm qmax cutter for the hole.
The buffalo tap I removed, I sold for £6 on eBay!

If you live anywhere near Bury, you can borrow my qmax.

£50 & £60 on Nisbets eBay? How did you guys manage that? They're currently wanting ~£150 for a refurbished 30L Buffalo on that site...

Is it just a case of keep looking and 'make an offer' if something pops up? :wha:

Within the EBay app I save the search so was notified when Nisbetts put it on, they literally sell like hot cakes.

Don't be afraid of making a cheeky offer as they accept instantly :-P

Not surprisingly they were quick to accept my offer of £70!
Wish I'd started lower now. Still can't complain even at that price.
Don.
Farrington Gurney
Did a 60 min boil yesterday. Started with 40 litres and ended up with 30 in the fermenting bin.

Last edited:
Back