Buffalo urn / boiler mods

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all
Just managed to score this Buffalo boiler for £45.

It’s used but seems to be in pretty good nick, so a trip to Wilko to get some citric acid flakes and some oxi (as recommended in other threads) to clean it up.

This is the older CC193 model with the dial that goes up to 110.

6024D03F-3943-4F83-9FBC-3706C30C2975.jpeg

Am I right in thinking that I don’t need to modify / bypass the cutout as this model can hold a boil?

I’m also planning to add a ball tap, as per many of the other threads.

Any other recommendations for mods?

Thanks

I've used my urn a couple of times now. It's ok for the mash, but even though the dial goes up to 110c, it doesn't get up to a boil.

There is a thermal cut out but I've changed that, replacing the 120c for a 135c, which was actually super easy to do and super easy to get hold of.

I'm told that this thing will only get up to ~97-98c tops with the on board thermostat.

I know there are many people who have bypassed the thermostat completely, but what I thought I might be able to do was replace the standard mains switch for an on/off/on single pole, double throw (SPDT) switch.

I've drawn a noddy circuit diagram of what is there currently and what I'd like to do. I'd appreciate your comments. I know that my diagram symbols won't be ISO (or whatever) standard.

Current layout. As far as I can tell, the line that goes all around the left hand side only feeds the LED on the switch.

20200707_093723.jpg

Proposed. Plan is to ditch the standard switch and have a two position rocker. One position connecting the thermostat circuit as is, and the other bypassing the thermostat and connecting straight to the element.

20200707_093940.jpg

Any thoughts / issues in doing this?

Also. I'm not sure how the LED on the right hand side works. I think it comes on when the element is energised. And I also think it comes on, maybe a different colour, when the (normally closed) thermal cut out opens, but as you can see, that connection is broken anyway. If I could, I'd like to replace it, but not sure how it's wired.

Cheers all.

I've had the same buffalo for 10 + years now, 40 litre one, keeps 30 litres at a good rolling boil, no problem.
Changed the tap for a ball tap and lagged the body with a foam camping mat.
While I'm boiling I stand it on an old 'workmate' to allow cool air to circulate underneath the boiler.
Never had to look at the electrics so couldn't help there.

To be honest, it's served me well as it is!

Update:
I moved the metal probe to outside the urn (so no chance of it overheating) and had the dial up to max.

It still doesn't get up to a boil. 96-97 is the highest it will get after over an hour.

As far as I can tell it doesn't cut out from the thermal cut out (in any case I changed it for a higher temperature one) I can switch it off and on manually and I can hear the noise of it heating as you would expect.

The base wasn't covered in caramel / sugar / gunk. A light rub with a plastic paddle was enough to clear any accumulated residue.

I'm only trying to boil ~14 litres. Does anyone have any idea why this doesn't get up to a boil?

Only thing I can think of is to bypass the dial / thermometer completely.

(Or cut my losses and buy something big, new and shiny 😃)

My 30ltr also has a dial going to 110'c, after fiddling about like you have I gave up and chucked in a kettle element.
20200105_215114.jpg

I've had no problems boiling since.

Decided to give the Buffalo another go at boiling. I’ve completely bypassed the the dial / thermothingie. I’ve also got insulation around it and the lid half on to try and keep an amount of heat in.

At best it will report 97/98 on the probe. If I dip the probe in the middle of the boiler it might just register 100 briefly, but it’s nothing like a rolling boil. Then goes down as far as 96.

Am I flogging a dead horse? I take it there is nothing more I can do - or do as Subtle Duck suggests and add another element?

Or cut my losses. I hate it when **** doesn’t work as it should,

I've no idea what to suggest, maybe the 'newer' versions of the Buffalo aren't as good as the old ones?

Mines a 40 litre boiler, about 12 years old now, the only modifications I made are changing the tap to a ball valve, fitting insulation from a 'camping mat' and cutting a notch in the lid for the arm for the hop spider .

Thermostat goes to 110, but once I get a rolling boil turn down to 105 and rumbles along well. I've recently cut down from 23 litre to 15 litre brews and that is much quicker.

Sorry my post doesn't actually help, but if this is becoming a problem with the newer version of Buffalo boilers maybe anyone looking for a new boiler try elsewhere.

Baz Chaz, Thanks for your reply.

My model is CC193 which I think is an 'older' model. I've been toying with the idea of spending a few hundred quid on an all in one system, so maybe this will shove me in the right direction. The only thing there is that I don't feel like I'm brewing particularly good beer, so I'm reluctant to spend hundreds only to continue to make sub par beer.

@UKSkydiver .... I must admit I'm tempted buy an all in one system, but reluctant to fork out big bucks!

Apart from that all my kit is a bit heath Robinson, but that's part of the fun (for me) but my boiler is 40 litre and I've cut down from 23 litre brews to 15 (easier for the old bones to move stuff around, plus more brew days to 'ring the changes)

If you're dissapointed with your beer, try to keep your recepies simple, funnily enough when I started back in the 70's we brewed reasonable beer and didn't have the resources we have now. I think sometimes we overcomplicate stuff. I'm brewing the best beer I've ever done, but the ingredients are less, it's an Auzzie saying I think ..... KISS ..... keep it simple stupid! The number of times I've said that to myself, let's face it less to go wrong.

If you don't already do it, each brewday make yourself an idiot sheet (I still do one!) Recipe amounts, timings etc just to stop you missing the obvious, I set everything out on a picnic table BEFORE I start. Before that I lost count of how often I forgot to put the filter in either the mash tun or in the boiler!

Good luck with your next brew.

Back