Buffers Brewery Pressure Barrel “Bung”

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Buffers Brewery, your casting is first class, well done!

Cheers, Pete

I tried them too but results weren't consistent. The other big problem with the standard lid (IMHO) is the HB valve and the 2 rubber bands.
It'd be nice to get away from the HB valve for getting gas into the barrel. How many years ago was it when bicycle tyres had valve rubbers? I can remember them from my youth. The pressure relief seems to work ok for me, though

It'd be nice to get away from the HB valve for getting gas into the barrel. How many years ago was it when bicycle tyres had valve rubbers? I can remember them from my youth. The pressure relief seems to work ok for me, though
Again, my experience was they were inconsistent. A couple of times the pressure relief band would develop a slow leak and I had the non-return band under the lid split halfway through a barrel just after I had recharged with CO2. That was the last straw for me, hence my little project. Gave me something to do as well :laugh8:

For the amount of effort and probably cash you have put in you'll have covered the cost of a steel keg!

I have 2 1/2 size kegs the smaller opening makes for easier sealing :)

For the amount of effort and probably cash you have put in you'll have covered the cost of a steel keg!

I have 2 1/2 size kegs the smaller opening makes for easier sealing :)
Thanks for the comment @aamcle . This “project” of mine has evolved over several months with different goals at each step. Sometimes to address a particular problem, sometimes just for the hell of it. Not always driven by cost but mostly, if not entirely, for enjoyment. The latest iteration allows me to connect my King Keg to a CO2 supply and to a beer tap on my Barrelator just like a corny keg and gives me a lot of pleasure and means I don’t have to write-off +£150 worth of King Kegs.

Good to hear you seal your kegs easily.

Cheers acheers.

You going to have a go @The-Engineer-That-Brews ?
Heh not as such, as I don’t have any KKs; but I have occasionally thought it might be useful to fabricate something using a casting method. I’ve only once done so a long time ago - using Araldite - but it cracked very easily, so I wanted to add your technique to my repertoire :-)

I'm not sure if any other forum members are using @Buffers brewery modification, but I had two done by him during the summer and am so pleased with them that I've just gone and bought a third King Keg and got him do the lid for that one too. I'm not a King Keg zealot as I have 3 cornies as well, but until this year my two old KKs were abandoned at the back of the shed, whereas I have now got to the stage where I only bottle a few from each brew for friends and family and all the rest go into kegs both Cornelius and King.

To sell here you must be an advertising sponsor but like the bulk hops buying threads if you are only selling to members and only covering costs plus a little for your time i don't think there would be any problem.

I’d buy one for sure
If anyone is interested add your name to this thread.

Here is my first pint pulled through my beer engine using Keiths modified KK, it tastes great(Yorkshire Bitter) a small leak on the demand valve(new one on order) but Keiths Mods work great

Attachments

• First Pint.jpg
    First Pint.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 57
  • Modified Keg.jpg
    Modified Keg.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 68
  • Temp Setup.jpg
    Temp Setup.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 64

Latest posts

Back