Building recipes within limitations

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Viking Alchemist

Reaction score
Hello all isn't the weather wonderful, so lets get all hot and sticky in a hot hot brew chamber :)

I will be doing an eight liter batch BITBon my hob on Sunday and before i build my recipe i thought id throw the question out on the forum.

For a change I want to do a lower gravity beer and i have the following malts;

• 1kg maris otter
  • 500g munich
  • 500g crushed crystal (no idea of the lovibond as my shop doesnt have it on the label and no one seems to know)
  • 150-200g vienna
  • 100g wheat

I have loads of hops to pick from;
mosaic
chinook
huell melon
pilgrim
nugget
sterling.

I was going to do an english pale with pilgrim hops but im sure you guys can help me come up with something way more interesting, i'll do photos and vids if i can of the brew day too.

Things to consider;

• I don't have temp control and my brew room has been sitting at 25 degrees where it is usually between 18 and 20. How will this affect the fermentation etc?
  • I only have leftover kit yeasts or a Real ale yeast from Crossmyloof (temp range 18-25 degrees).
So come at me brothers and sisters!!!

poormans temp control involves negotiating a bit of freezer space and a daily exchange of a frozen 2l or bigger ex milk bottle of water in either a binbag insulated in a sleeping bag wrap, or perhaps a waterbath..

i think with a 25c temp in your 'cool' spot its worth consideration at least..

and with a low gravity brew it should only be crucial for the 1st 3-4 days by which time if you pitched a healthy population most sugars should be exhausted

I can't come up with anything way more interesting... But I'd do an English Bitter / Mildy / Light Ale thingy... Which would come out at around 4% ABV and 25 IBU for a 8L batch...

1000g Maris Otter
250g Munich
75g Crystal
75g Wheat
5g Pilgrim @ 60 mins
5g Pilgrim @ 5 mins

Lovely Jubbly...

Thanks for the advice people but im suspending my brew day due to the heat.

my coolest room today is sitting at 27 degrees
my kitchen is sitting st 33 degrees and i dont fancy spending a couple of hours over a boiling pot

so off to Home Bargains to see if they have any more Oakham Ales for £1

Thanks for the advice people but im suspending my brew day due to the heat.

my coolest room today is sitting at 27 degrees
my kitchen is sitting st 33 degrees and i dont fancy spending a couple of hours over a boiling pot

so off to Home Bargains to see if they have any more Oakham Ales for £1
don't be a giverupperist.
just put the fermenter in a bath or shower or ideally a big tub type thing with cold water in the bottom and wrap a towel or two around it. if you have a fan all the better. should drop your temp by a few degrees and keep it steady.
re recipe I'd check it all in except the cara, which add a small sprinkle of, say 200g then a single hop of your choice. probably something like pilgrim as it might work better with the higher esters than normal.

Last time I checked the forecast, the weekend after next is a bit less hot. So, unless England make the final...

Latest posts

Back