Built in water filter

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Braufather

Landlord.
Reaction score
Recently started to filter tap water for brewing with a Brita filter and vey happy with the results.

Only draw back is it a faff and takes a couple of hours. The mrs actually suggested getting a built in one so happy days.

Can anyone recommend a mid priced one? Brita do one so that’s an option but can anyone recommend others? I don’t mind spending more on something of decent quality but only if is worth it.

just filtered water. no interest in instant boiling water.

https://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/...nity-and-calcium-test-kits.68369/post-1011215
I have the brita filter which takes the P1000 filters , really improved the taste of water for drinking , also tea and coffee much better. Same kettle for 4 years with no scale build up.
Finding hard to get good deals on the filters these days though. Used to buy in bulk for a decent saving.
If I’ve attached a previous post correctly that shows some water readings of neat tap water and brita filtered water , if that helps .

Can I ask what system is it? Looks like those filters fit all Brita tap systems?

I would be happy to stick with Brita

Could you use the filtered water for star san.

not sure it alters the ph which is the main thing for star san i think?

I used to use ashbec for star san ( and brewing) but cant get it any more. Blessing in disguise as its cheaper just using a bit more star san in tap water than buying bottled water, and filtered water tastes as good if not better for brewing.

not sure it alters the ph which is the main thing for star san i think?

I used to use ashbec for star san ( and brewing) but cant get it any more. Blessing in disguise as its cheaper just using a bit more star san in tap water than buying bottled water, and filtered water tastes as good if not better for brewing.
How much more star san do you add? as I’m on my last bottle of ashbeck.

How much more star san do you add? as I’m on my last bottle of ashbeck.

about 10 to 20 per cent. Depends on your tap water though, I’d start with a small tester of with regular ratio and see how well it foams and how clear it is, and add from there.

I bought an inline system without a tap (it's connected to the cold water tap in the kitchen) from Osmio a few years ago. Their customer service is very good and they'll send you reminder emails when it's time to order new filters.

I think I expected it to do more than it does, but that's my fault. The filters are quite expensive and as I don't mind drinking hard water, if I'd known woukd probably not have bothered and just descaled the kettle more often.

Also, if space is an issue and/or your plumbing is **** (ie chased into the wall), you'll need some long flexible tails to make it work.

On the subject of Star San, according to the woman I spoke to on the phone at 5 Star Chemicals, the only difference the water you mix it with makes is that at a certain ph it becones cloudy, not affecting the efficacy. What does appear to affect the efficacy is the length of time it's mixed. A data sheet I saw somewhere said one hour.

I made the phone call after they failed to reply to an email. If anyone has information in writing from 5 Star about ph level temperature at which to mix it (which has been suggested is important) and after how long it should be discarded, I'd love to see it as it's been driving me nuts.

I have great faith in no-rinse sanitisers, it's just that I've not really seen much from 5 Star that is definitive.

I thought you could reuse it, and reuse it?

This is in the FAQ section of the website:

HOW LONG IS STAR SAN GOOD FOR ONCE IT’S MIXED INTO A SOLUTION?

Star San is an EPAs registered sanitizer and must be used immediately. We do not recommend using it if has been in solution longer than an hour.

That said, Charlie Talley, the product's inventer may well have said differently elsewhere. An hour is probably what the US EPA specifies for all sanitisers.

That’s odd. Don’t most of us keeps some in a spay bottle for weeks and months? I know I do.

That’s odd. Don’t most of us keeps some in a spay bottle for weeks and months? I know I do.

Exactly. But I can't see how it can keep that long. When I used to use Videne, I remember being advised that in a hard water area to use citric acid in it (though I now think that was also something to do with altering the ph levels) and that it was also a usedmful indicator in that once the solution was clear, it was exhausted.

I think I'm going to email 5 Star again.

Back