Bulk Apple juice concentrate?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Richie_asg1

Reaction score
I wonder if it is possible to buy apple juice concentrate, as at least half of the apple juice available in shops is made from concentrate that has been imported, then mixed with UK water before being packed in tetrapak.

I think most cider kits available do just that, and are packing concentrate straight from being imported. But is it available to us as either barrels or some other container?

I've only seen one producer which is Suma which is 5L for £63 - which seems a bit high, but then I don't know how concentrated it is. But at £12 a litre is equivalent to a cider kit price.

Does anyone know of a supplier that would do it at a reasonable cost, or are we stuck with buying cartons of apple juice.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Lowest I can find is £45.69 for 5L delivered from Superfood market.
That is Suma too, and works out at £9.14 / L.

Package says 5 Litres makes 30-40L when diluted, but also says dilute 5-7 parts which works out right.

At that rate it makes it £45.69 for 30L or £1.52 / L to £1.14 / L - which is more than double supermarket prices. :(

Looks like Asda wins at 55p / L

Lowest I can find is £45.69 for 5L delivered from Superfood market.
That is Suma too, and works out at £9.14 / L.

Package says 5 Litres makes 30-40L when diluted, but also says dilute 5-7 parts which works out right.

At that rate it makes it £45.69 for 30L or £1.52 / L to £1.14 / L - which is more than double supermarket prices. :(

Looks like Asda wins at 55p / L
Tesco have 1l of Growers Harvest for 55p/L also.

How low can we go? :laugh8:

Plus can you 'cut' it with sugar, or add sweeteners in the way of an apple cordial concentrate? Does aspartame/ stevia at the start result in something 'orible?

Personally I would rather stay away from artificial sweeteners, but the "simply" cider from the Range was pretty good, and that had a sweetener sachet in the kit.

I wonder if it is possible to buy apple juice concentrate, as at least half of the apple juice available in shops is made from concentrate that has been imported, then mixed with UK water before being packed in tetrapak.

I think most cider kits available do just that, and are packing concentrate straight from being imported. But is it available to us as either barrels or some other container?

I've only seen one producer which is Suma which is 5L for £63 - which seems a bit high, but then I don't know how concentrated it is. But at £12 a litre is equivalent to a cider kit price.

Does anyone know of a supplier that would do it at a reasonable cost, or are we stuck with buying cartons of apple juice.
It maybe worth trying apple suppliers if there is any near you as I know there is a few guy's in our club that do a bulk buy of 500 litres between them and they then divide it up into fermenters and Jerry cans for transport home.

Sorry for hijacking the thread, but both Asda Smart Price & Tesco Grower's Harvest apple juice are mentioned above and I'm curious to know if they are both suitable for making cider? I'm quite new to brewing and have read that you need to ensure apple juice isn't pasteurised etc.

Sorry for hijacking the thread, but both Asda Smart Price & Tesco Grower's Harvest apple juice are mentioned above and I'm curious to know if they are both suitable for making cider? I'm quite new to brewing and have read that you need to ensure apple juice isn't pasteurised etc.
Yes they are suitable but just make sure the juice you use is free from preservatives as are those mentioned above.

Hi, I’m a newbie to the site but thought I’d let you know(if you didn’t know already) if you put 1300ml of the motioned apple juice from Asda/Tesco into a sauce pan & reduce it down to 350ml, it’ll be just as good as the concentrate that we all have problems getting

Cooking the juice (any juice) totaly,totaly changes the taste
In my opinion it ruins the flavour,But some might prefer it.

I'm very fortunate to live in a large apple growing region and therefore have access to fresh apples (in season), or direct pressed juice as required.

However, I'm curious about why one would want apple concentrate, rather than a cider kit? Bulldog 23 litre apple cider kits are £24 at a popular online retailer. I just found one deep in my cellar gathering dust, which I bought three years ago. I started fermentation today. It has everything you want and is super easy.

Perhaps if the apple concentrate could be guaranteed as a certain variety, and you could obtain multiple varieties to mix, it could be interesting. Otherwise, from a cost point of view, I think the cider kits are great value.

Or if you really want to make cider, and have the time, space and equipment stick with fresh apples.

Edit:
I have also made a lot of cider from shop bought juice. It can be a bit hit and miss. I've never really had a good result with the cheapest juice I can find, even if that is direct pressed and not from concentrate. The best results are always from the premium juice, which is usually close to €2 per litre.

Edit 2:
I've just noticed that the Bulldog cider kits appear to be sold out or not available just about everywhere. Therefore, maybe there is value in trying to obtain concentrate directly......

Last edited:
As I have pointed out on other threads cartoned apple juice makes truly execellent white wine.

But i have never ever had it turn out anything like cyder
And i have played around with adding acids (various types) and tannin.

I can only assume its something to do with the type of apples (or process)used to make the juice.

I posted this earlier, why would anyone want to mess about boiling juice when you can make 5 gallon of cider for £15 (ish) many members make cider using this juice and i cannot remember anyone saying they didn't like it.

ASDA smart price apple juice @ 55 pence per litre would be £12:37 for 5 gallons.

Latest posts

Back