Bulldog Brews Yule Brew

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sloth

Reaction score
Seems there is no review for this brew yet, and I have one on order. See below for the info on Bulldog Brew's website, and I'll get a review on once I've brewed it. Not sure yet if I'll do this or their Easter brew first, hmm...

Alcohol
5.6% (vol)

Bitterness
40-45 EBU

Colour
35-45 EBC

Net weight
3.8 kgs

Hop pellets
Pilgrim

Bulldog Yule Brew is a full bodied, dark and delicious Christmas beer kit flavoured with Cinnamon and Ginger. The Pilgrim hops add spicyness, pear and berry notes.

Everything you need is in the box. No sugar is required, except a small amount for priming after fermentation.

I put this on two weeks ago today. Smelt nice when it went in the FV and the pouch as opposed to cans was a godsend, so easy to pour and rinse out. The kit I bought was reduced in my LHBS and a day or two into fermentation there was an awful eggy fart smell coming out of the airlock, I originally blamed this on old yeast (re-hydrated before pitching) but over time the smell has gone. OG was 1048

I made and added the hop tea on Tuesday, twelve days after fermentation and with a hydrometer reading of 1006 (5.5%) and gave it a gentle stir. This seems to have kicked off further fermentation and the airlock is bubbling away slowly again. I was kind of hoping to have it finished ready to bottle this weekend as I'm having an op on Monday and will be one armed for six weeks. If it's not done by Sunday I'll be calling in favours for help bottling.

This finished at 1004 5.78% and I batch primed with 100g brewing sugar before filling 40 (and a bit) bottles on 25/11. Took some to a party on Sunday 13/12 and I'm really impressed! It is pretty strongly flavoured with ginger and the cinnamon is there but a lot more subtle so might not suit everyone. Considering my first two attempts at kits have turned out awful I was not hopeful but this is really nice.

I did think it would be a drink you'd want too many of in one go but I saw seven bottles off and didn't get bored of the tasted really. I probably won't drink any more until Christmas now so hopefully the extra couple of weeks will see it improving.

For anyone looking for a decent Christmas ale (or just a nicely flavoured beer) I'd recommend it. Good,clear instructions, all in all a great kit.

Ive just started on this one - so will report on how it goes.

Bought it cheap online due to being at its use by date - knowing I might need to add another yeast sachet if the yeast was no good.

Brewed slightly short to 21L

One day in, and it's actually got a good Krausen - I was worried about the yeast and considering adding another sachet - but I think I'll be alright based on the decent krausen so far - lovely smells of ginger cake at the minute - looking forwards to this.

I'll be bottling this bank holiday Monday - hydro is a little above what I'd want- but even after a stir and warm up - is staying consistent - do I'm pretty sure it's done, rather than a stuck fermentation.

The sweet marmalade smell has toned down, but it's got a pleasant wintery smell to it. Very little krausen anymore, looks like it's cleaned up nicely - I'll give a report after a little aging.

I started this brew 6 days ago. Added the teabag yesterday and there are no bubbles in the airlock at all. It seems like the brew is dead.
Is it just a really slow fermentation?

Back