Bulldog, Evil Dog Double IPA

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is going to be my next purchase.
Just been reading over the instructions online.

I plan on leaving this in the bottle for atleast 2 months when it comes to bottling. Will it need more?

However has everyone used the amount of priming sugar they say or decreased it?

i have one bottled around xmas and its still no where near ready.. mind you mine brewed down to 1.010.. and is seriously strong, maybe too strong for me as all i can taste at the moment is the alcohol

Hi all,

I'm about 6 days into the fermentation of bulldog evil dog (and apologies, it's my first brew!), current Gravity is about 1.030, how much longer do you all think this will need in the fermenter to get down to the expected 1.008-1.010? And at what stage should I throw in the hops (baring in mind, the hoppier the better for me)?

Thanks in advance!

Hi all,

I'm about 6 days into the fermentation of bulldog evil dog (and apologies, it's my first brew!), current Gravity is about 1.030, how much longer do you all think this will need in the fermenter to get down to the expected 1.008-1.010? And at what stage should I throw in the hops (baring in mind, the hoppier the better for me)?

Thanks in advance!

I would give it at least another week, and longer will not do any harm. I dry hopped mine for 2 days before bottling and it wasn't as hoppy as I had hoped. If I were you I would wait a week then test if the SG has stabilised. If so, dry hop and leave it for 4 days before bottling. :thumb:

I would give it at least another week, and longer will not do any harm. I dry hopped mine for 2 days before bottling and it wasn't as hoppy as I had hoped. If I were you I would wait a week then test if the SG has stabilised. If so, dry hop and leave it for 4 days before bottling. :thumb:

Thanks for the advice! If the gravity stabilises and I leave it for a further 4 days (for the dry-hopping) will there be enough yeast remaining for the priming/carbonation stage?

Thanks again in advance!

Had an awful time with this one - took nearly a month to stop fermenting then ended up smelling and tasting of cider. Their Bad Cat one was pretty nasty too - had much better luck with cheaper kits.

I had high expectations for this kit. Also had cider taste early on. It's now been 13 weeks and taste is now somewhere nearer an IPA with alcohol taste minimal so give it 3 months. I know that's a long time but what's the alternative? I think cider taste is coming from lack of carbing with priming sugar still in there.

I have minimal hop taste and this has been similar to other ipas where I have used Muslim bag. Best hop taste I have had is when throwing pellets straight into FV. I know it's a mess but the taste is better.

So mine has been around 4 months in the barrel now and it still tastes awful. Cidery taste remains. Think this one is destined for the drain.

think this is the only kit i have done that i was disappointed with, 6 months conditioning and I stil dont wwant to drink it

Was my first kit. Was lovely. One of best kits I did. Really tasty ale. But rocket fuel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It either seems to go brilliantly or horribly depending on who you ask :doh:

I think decent temp control is required.

going by the cider taste threads. is there a chance this wasn't an all malt kit? apart from the kilo of brewing sugar that comes with it.

This was the first kit I made after coming back to brewing in 2014. I bought 2 following the rave reviews and a Bulldog Easter Chocolate Stout.

First taste of the Evil Dog from the fermenter was not like any beer I've tasted, in fact not like beer at all. More like sour grapefruit juice. I remain convinced that citrus essence or some other flavouring was added to the malt extract.

Two years on and I still have a few bottles left though I've started drinking my Young's America IPA I bottled 3 weeks ago. Of the 456 pints I brewed in 2014 these were the most disappointing, the Easter Stout tasted like cheap cooking chocolate and went down the sink, all 40 pints of it.

I remember someone posting that they'd been in touch with Bulldog and sent them a bottle for analysis, does anyone know the outcome of that?

This was the first kit I made after coming back to brewing in 2014. I bought 2 following the rave reviews and a Bulldog Easter Chocolate Stout.

First taste of the Evil Dog from the fermenter was not like any beer I've tasted, in fact not like beer at all. More like sour grapefruit juice. I remain convinced that citrus essence or some other flavouring was added to the malt extract.

Two years on and I still have a few bottles left though I've started drinking my Young's America IPA I bottled 3 weeks ago. Of the 456 pints I brewed in 2014 these were the most disappointing, the Easter Stout tasted like cheap cooking chocolate and went down the sink, all 40 pints of it.

I remember someone posting that they'd been in touch with Bulldog and sent them a bottle for analysis, does anyone know the outcome of that?

Same experience with both kits. The Bad Cat kit I made was awful too :doh:

I have dry hopped after 16 days and 3 days @ 1011, but when the hops went in it started up again, thought I would bottle now on Sat, woke up today and it was stil going strong and has dropped to 1010. My problem is I leave for 2 weeks of work on Monday, so the next chance to bottle isn't until 2 weeks time, can I order new hops pellets and re-hop 2 days before bottling? What would you do?
Should I take out the 2 bags if I leave it for another 2 weeks?

I have dry hopped after 16 days and 3 days @ 1011, but when the hops went in it started up again, thought I would bottle now on Sat, woke up today and it was stil going strong and has dropped to 1010. My problem is I leave for 2 weeks of work on Monday, so the next chance to bottle isn't until 2 weeks time, can I order new hops pellets and re-hop 2 days before bottling? What would you do?
Should I take out the 2 bags if I leave it for another 2 weeks?

feel for you mate.

the drinking part on your Sig

Back