Bulldog, Evil Dog Double IPA

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
7 days in the bottle priming at about 20c and then 3 hours in my fridge this evening for me to have a trial - and I must say this is absolutely lovely, my best yet and it should be nowhere near mature enough.

It's still a bit cloudly, but it's on its way to clear and I'm now a big fan of the hop aroma. At 7.7% (before priming) this is one to happily sip over.

vMw0m.jpg

It's been bottled for about three weeks now, carbonated & cleared nicely and tastes great!!
Usually I cant resist 'playing' with ingredients, adding more hops / extract, but with what you get in this kit, I didn't feel the need to add more.
Kit # 2 is under way, as half the original batch has gone!!, so far everyone that's tried it has been really positive about this. I can see kit # 3 being bought in the near future to maintain a stock :clap:

I see there are lots of posts about how people are brewing this kit ... has anybody actually drunk any yet ? What about a post about how the beer tastes ? Please ? :hmm:

Tean Buns said:
I see there are lots of posts about how people are brewing this kit ... has anybody actually drunk any yet ? What about a post about how the beer tastes ? Please ? :hmm:

^^^^ I said it was lovely. Not sure what to compare it to as I'm no ale connoisseur - but it was definitely packed with taste, the body and head were just right and it was very hoppy. Can see it getting much better with age. Only problem is I still have a bit of a headache today after drinking 3 pints of it (among other things) on Saturday night.

Defintely flavoursome taste smooth but does pack a punch the next day...

I saw this kit yesterday & even though I have several waiting to be started I'm really tempted to get this one.
Quick question....I'm yet to brew anything that requires hops; is it simply a case of chucking the packets into the fermenter during the brewing process & leaving them there before I syphon to the bottling bucket? Or is there so something else that I need to do.

Cheers :cheers:

goldenone said:
I saw this kit yesterday & even though I have several waiting to be started I'm really tempted to get this one.
Quick question....I'm yet to brew anything that requires hops; is it simply a case of chucking the packets into the fermenter during the brewing process & leaving them there before I syphon to the bottling bucket? Or is there so something else that I need to do.

Cheers :cheers:

They come in little tea bags, you put them on boiling water for ten mins then chuck them in a couple of days before bottling.

The instructions are available online if you want a read before buying:

http://www.bulldogbrews.co.uk/assets/do ... uction.pdf

Hi

Just bought this kit. I was wondering whether I could use the Young's plastic pressure barrel to condition, or whether it would be a better idea to bottle due to the pressure?

Thanks.

fezman said:
Hi

Just bought this kit. I was wondering whether I could use the Young's plastic pressure barrel to condition, or whether it would be a better idea to bottle due to the pressure?

Thanks.

It's quite a premium kit so I'd try to bottle if I was you, lest you lose a couple of pints to deadness at the bottom of the barrel like I just did with a bitter.

My pre-kegging sample gives me a FG of 1001! :shock: This means a 8.5% brew for me, with a huge pineapple and grapefruit hop hit judging from the sample :tongue:

IOMMick the only thing for it is to have several homebrews a night for the next 4 or 5 days
and not buy any.newspapers , I feel your pain buddy,not looking forward to work in the morning
just need to take our medicine :doh:

I've been following this thread with great interest as this will be my next brew and I cannot wait to get it going. As a complete newbie (2 batches brewed so far - with great success :drink: hehe) I have used 1 can kits before without the need for using hop pellets. So my question is: Do I need to stir the wort after I've added them? Wouldn't that cause all the sediment to lift? I have limited brewing space so can use only PV, no secondary to rack.. I want to add them as late as possible before bottling, but it looks like I willl have to wait few days before it clears for bottling.. What do you guys think? Any help much appreciated

UpTheToon said:
The instructions are available online if you want a read before buying:

http://www.bulldogbrews.co.uk/assets/do ... uction.pdf
I just read these instructions and was surprised to see that it recommends a vigorous splashing long after the majority of the alcohol is produced. I always thought this was a no no. Or is this OK even in latter stages of ferment, so long as it's not completely finished?

Thanks for the link - very helpful info. It says for craft beers add pellets 1-2 days before bottling. I am a bit affraid thats not enough time for it to clear after stirring 'vigorously' as they suggest hehe, but what do I know, will follow the instructions as they are and see what happens :pray:

Just an update - this is my favourite brew so far. I'm struggling to leave the bottles alone over the other 4 brews I have sitting about at the same age or older. It's a premium kit so I only ordered one, but I'm scared into now thinking that I have to order another one quick to create an over-supply, in case I don't have the patience to let this one mature properly.

I added my hop teabags to the FV after leaving them in a glass of boiling water for 30 mins yesterday (which was day 7 in FV). Now every time my airlock burps (and it is still bubbling every 10 secs on day 8) I get a big whiff of the hops. I'm no ale connoisseur and don't actually know if I like hoppiness yet or not - but I just hope the finished product tastes different to what it smells like at the minute...
IOMMICK, did you stir the wort afterwards or just let them soak? I cannot get an answer to that, istruction say to stir vigorously to aerate, but some people say this can actually oxidize the beer..

Well that's my first brew since the early 1980's, successfully into keg today for secondary ferment and clearing. This was a doddle of a kit to do and so much easier than I remember it in the "olden days". Managed to get my keg sealed off OK and decided to fit that wee pressure gauge you can get off fleabay so I can see what's going on. Injected a little CO2 and it's all holding pressure nicely. Mine kegged at 7.6% which is pretty damn fine by me and the aroma was excellent. Waiting game for a wee while now so in the meantime, I've started off a batch of Hammer of Thor......well there's no point leaving the FV empty.....and I do have another keg needing filled :D

Latest posts

Back