Bulldog, Evil Dog Double IPA

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
dhendy91 said:
Just bottled and kegged this after 14 days in primary and 8 days in secondary. One question has this been cleared naturally for anyone without finings?
hare2e2a.jpg

Just need to wait to drink it now!

Mine had a lot of residue at the bottom of the bottle - I bottled almost straight from SV (racked into a PB for bottling). If I can keep the residue at the bottom of the bottle it's perfectly clear.

After 2 and a half weeks the airlock had finally about stopped bubbling so took a gravity reading. It's at 1.001 making it about 7.5 percent even brewed a tad long at 24 litres. Sample jar tasted as nice as flay beer possibly can. Very promising. May have to wait till weekend to bottle though.

:whistle:

IOMMick said:
Mine had a lot of residue at the bottom of the bottle - I bottled almost straight from SV (racked into a PB for bottling). If I can keep the residue at the bottom of the bottle it's perfectly clear.
Yea I don't mind it being cloudy as a lot of the commercial craft type U.S beers often are. Its the taste that matters. Hopefully like you say all the sediment will drop to the bottom.

May have to wait till weekend to bottle though.

I think I'll rack mine to secondary to try and clear as much as possible before hopping during that week. Took some advice from another thread - maybe it will clear further? Mine still has a layer of foam on it after 10 days.

mine was racked and cold crashed for over a week and did not clear at all, think it might be a cloudy beer. But we shall see what conditioning in a bottle does to it. :cheers:

Well it's bottled. No secondary. Will see how it clears in the bottle. Three was half a pint spare so would be rude not to! I hopped about a week ago mistakenly thinking í was nearly done, but it is still VERY hoppy! Glad there was only half a pint spare, more in bottles and it deffo needs some carbonation to be really nice. Oh yeah, as others have said, it's really pale too.

Racked to secondary today and it is already at 1.008. So 7.9% and still fermenting judging by the action in the airlock in FV2. Will probably hop next Friday and bottle the Monday after. This tastes really good by the way and the high alcohol is well masked. Nothing like I've tasted before - can't wait for the hoppyness. :drink:

After giving the FV an extra week while I was away from home, the beer was finally bottled on the 1st March. After a week in the spare room and a little over a week in the garage, I've now sampled two bottles.
I certainly has a distinctive taste. Its like nothing else I have tasted, but most importantly I like it. It has a strong hoppy taste. Not much of a head, more of a gentle fizz.

Hi.

I bottled this for secondary, adding the suggested sugar. It's been in bottles for around ten days, thought I'd try a bottle tonight just to see what it was like and it's so sweet/fruity tasting.
Any ideas why? Has the added sugar not fully fermented out? It's been at roughly 15-19° for the ten days.

:doh:

HopWroester said:
Hi.

I bottled this for secondary, adding the suggested sugar. It's been in bottles for around ten days, thought I'd try a bottle tonight just to see what it was like and it's so sweet/fruity tasting.
Any ideas why? Has the added sugar not fully fermented out? It's been at roughly 15-19° for the ten days.

As a general rule I always condition my bottles for 2 weeks in the warm then 2 weeks in the cold before even tasting a bottle, even then it's gonna improve substantially over the next 2-3 months, patience is the key

Trucker5685 said:
HopWroester said:
Hi.

As a general rule I always condition my bottles for 2 weeks in the warm then 2 weeks in the cold before even tasting a bottle, even then it's gonna improve substantially over the next 2-3 months, patience is the key

Will give it another week in the warm before moving to the cold. Thanks!

Hi everyone,

I just set up my brew yesterday. Used just the malt extract in the kit and unfortunately pitched at 26C as I was tired of waiting for it to cool down.

OG: 1.060

The only problem is after more than 24 hours I just have a 1cm thick whitish head in the FV. No Kreusen. Is the normal or is it not fermenting? Have brewed mostly Cooper's kits till now and always had a brisk fermentation.

Current temp is maintained at 20.

I did aerate the wort quite vigorously, knowing its a high gravity beer.

Also rinsed off all the Star San carefully, although they say it won't kill the yeast.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Maiacetus said:
The only problem is after more than 24 hours I just have a 1cm thick whitish head in the FV. No Kreusen. Is the normal or is it not fermenting? Have brewed mostly Cooper's kits till now and always had a brisk fermentation.

I wouldnt worry about it, mine started showing signs of fermentation after about 32 hours as far as I can remember. Slow start and slow fermentation are normal for that brew. Just about to add hop teabags to mine this afternoon (day 17) and will bottle Friday. Gravity down to 1003 by now. This kit will test your patience hehe. Hopefully will be worth it :drunk:

sqrson said:
Maiacetus said:

This kit will test your patience hehe. Hopefully will be worth it :drunk:

Patience is definitely the key to this kit, and it very much worth it, I'm having one right now and it's going down a treat :cheers:

Mine was 3 1/2 weeks in the FV, it's now over 3 months in the bottle and it getting better with time :drunk:

OK so I only kegged this 4 days ago, with the suggested amount of sugar. I didn't bother with gravity readings, which may have been a mistake as the beer is coming out with lots of head so may of still been fermenting. I've not even put it in a cold place yet for conditioning, but decided to have a small sample. 3 pints later and I can say it is definitely the best beerkit I've done, it's definitely very fruity, its got either a lemony or grapefruit taste but without the bitterness. I had made this for me and my neighbours to drink during the World Cup but know it won't last so guess I'll be doing another 1 (or 2) before kick-off in Brazil. :drink:

After 3 pints of this stuff I am not surprised it seems the best kit you ever made, I am just surprised you can type! :shock:

Just thought I would add to this, mine has been on the bottle 2 weeks now and is now almost completely clear. Which surprises me considering it was complely opaque when it went in. As expected though it has thrown a lot of sediment.

Latest posts

Back