Bulldog, Evil Dog Double IPA

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
11 days in to ferment and still getting the occasional bubble through the airlock (maybe every five minutes) and I have a reading of 1.010 which is bang on between the instruction recommendations of 1.008 and 1014.

Should I leave a little longer before bottling?

Its not exactly clear, nor is it a pea souper.

Any advice for a newbie will be very welcome

11 days in to ferment and still getting the occasional bubble through the airlock (maybe every five minutes) and I have a reading of 1.010 which is bang on between the instruction recommendations of 1.008 and 1014.

Should I leave a little longer before bottling?

Its not exactly clear, nor is it a pea souper.

Any advice for a newbie will be very welcome

Hi and welcome to the forum. Sometimes the airlock bubbles even after the fermentation has finished, just because the beer is losing CO2. If you've already done the dry hop, I'd wait a couple of days, do another hydrometer reading, and if it is the same then bottle it.

Id leave it or try and cold crash it. My batch became quite carbonated in the bottle even though i left it a couple of weeks past the last bubble stage. Just be careful how much you prime it. Nice beer though, really tasty! Enjoy.

Ok so cracked the first one last night, smelt great, tasted good but was way undercrabed... not a happy camper. so out they come from under the house, a good shake and back into the warm for another couple of weeks. if that don't work will have to re-carb them and the start again I suspect.:doh:

OK so these have now carbed up reasonably well, but has anyone found they are a bit sweet? btw I din not add any more priming sugar.

gonna keep these in the warm another week to see if that helps before cold conditioning.

I do find this beer a bit sweet but not unpleasantly so. I carbed each 500ml bottle with about 4g sugar and kept them at about 20C for a couple of weeks and now stored a few degrees cooler...my garage isn't very cold at the moment. Been maturing for about a month and has dropped clear and the few "test" bottles consumed Show it to have a decent head which shows good retention. All in all a good brew. I'd prefer it a little less sweet but I still enjoy the beer and I don't have a sweet tooth.

First brew in over thirty years, a little sweet and carbed up nicely.
Took to work to wet the babies head and proved to be a hit

Made this kit on Friday and four days later still no sign of a bubble in my airlock - worried that I may have pitched the yeast at too high a temp- it was on 25 degrees dead - any ideas?

Made this kit on Friday and four days later still no sign of a bubble in my airlock - worried that I may have pitched the yeast at too high a temp- it was on 25 degrees dead - any ideas?

I would test the gravity of the brew, you will more than likely find that it is fermenting just fine. did it form a krausen?

If not give it a gentle stir get the yeast back active.

if that doesnt work you might need to repitch another yeast probaly something like S 05 would be a good replacement

Just checked gravity -down to 1.026 from 1.062 original gravity so looks OK - I'm just used to more activity from as I had from previous kits but happy now - Thanks for your help

I'd agree with the sweet comment, a little too much for my palette. Also, I found the strength to be a little unhelpful the next morning in terms of headaches, the only beer I've made that did.

Racked this to a second FV on day 13 and put the hops in - gravity down to 1.006 making 7.35 - will be bottling tomorrow - batch priming - how much to give a nicely carbonated brew?

I've brewed this one twice before. The first time ABV 7.1% on the box and 23g yeast sachet (a mystery yeast - not labelled) second time ABV 7.5% on box and a 10g yeast sachet ( I think it said yeast was - Pacific ale). Unfortunately, I got very different results. The first was a top, top brew, the second was not nice, strong but sickly sweet, lacked flavour and depth (unlike the first). I just ordered again the 7.1% version (what it said in the blerb) and the 7.5% version arrived with 10g of Pacific ale yeast. Ouch!

My question is can anyone recommend a replacement ale yeast for this one as I don't want a repeat of last time. Either one they have used before themselves with this kit to good effect, or a sensible off the peg variety that I can buy from a shop or online. Many thanks!

This was the 2nd kit i ever made, oh god it was like rocket fuel,i don't really do overhopped and high abv,but it did give me a guide to where i wanted to be.will be nice to follow your progress and see what you think.

I've brewed this one twice before. The first time ABV 7.1% on the box and 23g yeast sachet (a mystery yeast - not labelled) second time ABV 7.5% on box and a 10g yeast sachet ( I think it said yeast was - Pacific ale). Unfortunately, I got very different results. The first was a top, top brew, the second was not nice, strong but sickly sweet, lacked flavour and depth (unlike the first). I just ordered again the 7.1% version (what it said in the blerb) and the 7.5% version arrived with 10g of Pacific ale yeast. Ouch!

My question is can anyone recommend a replacement ale yeast for this one as I don't want a repeat of last time. Either one they have used before themselves with this kit to good effect, or a sensible off the peg variety that I can buy from a shop or online. Many thanks!
Hi I`ve just started this kit and I thought 10g of dried yeast was not enough for such a big beer, so I also added a packet of SO5 as well as the packet of pacific ale yeast which came with it. Heres hoping it turns out OK.:whistle:

Hi I`ve just started this kit and I thought 10g of dried yeast was not enough for such a big beer, so I also added a packet of SO5 as well as the packet of pacific ale yeast which came with it. Heres hoping it turns out OK.:whistle:

Interesting idea - let me know how it goes, I will be interested to know what you think of your end product. I've still not started this one yet was doing some research on what other yeasts I could use (I have still got no bright ideas :doh:). I'm about to start a batch of Festival Suffolk strong ale first so I'm stalling for time!

I have just finished my second batch of this (the last one probably somewhere near the start of this thread. OG 1054 and down to 1006 I think (can't remember but I reckon 7.1% ABV). Had in FV for over 3 weeks, bottled with a tsp of sugar in each and it has been at 24 degrees in the airing cupboard for nearly 3 weeks. Took one out last weekend to test carb and all good if a little sweeter than I remember last time. I think I batch primed the last one and maybe that contributed. Anyway - will transfer to the garage this weekend then taste week by week to see how it's going. Once I have a few empty bottles I can get started on my Brewferm Adbij with added roast pumpkin and spices for next Halloween.

Racked this to a second FV on day 13 and put the hops in - gravity down to 1.006 making 7.35 - will be bottling tomorrow - batch priming - how much to give a nicely carbonated brew?

90_100g should do the trick .

Latest posts

Back