Bulldog, Evil Dog Double IPA

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bottled most of it yesterday FG 1005, have about 9 litres left to bottle due to not being able to cap a lot of my bottles. My empty Moretti, Leffe and Stella bottles wouldn’t cap as the top of the bottles where too big! Hopped for two days, but the sample didn’t taste or smell hoppy. Can’t wait for it to be ready to drink, as it did taste really good, and is clear. Fingers crossed.

Opened my first bottle last night after a week conditioning and a week cooling. Clear, tasted nice, but not hoppy and quite flat. Put the bottles back in the warmth to see if it can fizz them up a bit.

Attachments

• evildog.jpg
    evildog.jpg
    15.9 KB · Views: 219
After an extra week conditioning (2 weeks condition total), and bingo I have a nice pint which retained its head throughout. My only criticism is that there is no hop taste. I added the hops as per instructions 2 days before bottling. Going to start a Youngs American IPA this weekend.
EvilDogIPA.jpg

After an extra week conditioning (2 weeks condition total), and bingo I have a nice pint which retained its head throughout. My only criticism is that there is no hop taste. I added the hops as per instructions 2 days before bottling. Going to start a Youngs American IPA this weekend.
View attachment 21380
Nice looking pint, my Evil Dog has been conditioning for over a week, was going to try a bottle tonight. Had hops in it for 5 days.

Going to start a Youngs American IPA this weekend.

I can assure you this won't be lacking in hop taste if you brew it as per the instructions. :cool:

Never brewed the Evil Dog though, have thought about it as I've generally been impressed with the other Bulldog kits but maybe I won't do this one?

Mine started at 1.062 ended at 1.006 but took 34 days in the FV. Its been a really good strong beer but I agree with others its not that hoppy.

Bottled this today and it still tastes very sweet but the reading has dropped down to 1005 which means an ABV 7.3%

Its not very clear in the picture but this is very pale, has had a week in the second Fv (solid bung under pressure) with beer finings, and has thrown a lot of sediment.

slightly cloudy in the bottle I'm hopping it will clear after a week and not throw too much sediment in the bottle.

Ive put the last 2.5 litres in a demi john and will syphon off a couple more pints when it clears
All in all Ive got about 45pints from this kit which clocks in at 56p a pint which is very good considering the strength.

In hind site i think i should have used both hopps teabags as its a bit sweet, but hey we live and learn. :hmm:
If your still on here, I've just added the HOPS bags after 10days, I've got it in my pantry cooking down for a few days b4 I bottle.... any tips that mite help me??? All help would be greatly appreciated

View attachment 21380
Rizzo that looks great, I've just added the hop bags after 10 days fermenting, had a lil tast but it's really flat, I'm going to bottle tomorrow any tips for me to make it as good as poss?? This is my 1st attempt and I have the same second brew as you we must of brought the same equipment and an extra mad dog to brew lol

Rizzo that looks great, I've just added the hop bags after 10 days fermenting, had a lil tast but it's really flat, I'm going to bottle tomorrow any tips for me to make it as good as poss?? This is my 1st attempt and I have the same second brew as you we must of brought the same equipment and an extra mad dog to brew lol
It will be flat after fermentation, there’s no pressure for the CO2 to dissolve into the beer. It will fizz up in 2 weeks In bottles. Add 4g of sugar to each bottle and keep at 20 degrees for two weeks. Then take one and chill it down to taste and see if there is enough fizz for you. If you’re unsure on sugar amount do some research or use an app like brewers friend. 4g of sugar made mine hella fizzy so you could experiment with some at 2,3and 4 to see what suits your taste best

It will be flat after fermentation, there’s no pressure for the CO2 to dissolve into the beer. It will fizz up in 2 weeks In bottles. Add 4g of sugar to each bottle and keep at 20 degrees for two weeks. Then take one and chill it down to taste and see if there is enough fizz for you. If you’re unsure on sugar amount do some research or use an app like brewers friend. 4g of sugar made mine hella fizzy so you could experiment with some at 2,3and 4 to see what suits your taste best
Thanks buddy I've had mine in my pantry for 24 hours and it has cooled down lower than my thermostat can test I was gonna bottle it tonight b4 bed, I dont have a tap so I'm syphon it out what so I do with the sediment wen i get to the bottom ???
15857383088082910412939791453533.jpg
15857383731979203398766179017333.jpg

Thanks buddy I've had mine in my pantry for 24 hours and it has cooled down lower than my thermostat can test I was gonna bottle it tonight b4 bed, I dont have a tap so I'm syphon it out what so I do with the sediment wen i get to the bottom ??? View attachment 23967View attachment 23968

Siphoning will work but you need to be mindful of contamination. An in-line valve in the symphony tube is how I control it.

I got a lot of sediment in my bottles but if you’re a steady pourer into a glass you’ll get a decent beer. As it’s your first brew aim for it tasting great and tune your skills on the next one to create less sediment.

What's an inline valve.?.?.?. I was thinking I mite put a bit of sponge in my syphon tube to catch most the sediment... I tasted some last night it was flat as hell but tasted really nice lol

What's an inline valve.?.?.?. I was thinking I mite put a bit of sponge in my syphon tube to catch most the sediment... I tasted some last night it was flat as hell but tasted really nice lol
Just a valve on the end of your siphon tube. I would advise against the sponge for 2 reasons, one being it needs to be sterile and you cannot ensure that and two it will clog fast and you’ll end up making a mess.

You could use beer finings to get the sediment to drop in the fermentation vessel or transfer to another sterile vessel and leave it to stand in the cold for another week or so.

Honestly don’t worry about sediment, if you don’t agitate it too much when you pour into a glass and leave a drop in the bottom of the bottle you’ll have a perfectly drinkable beer

What do I do with the sediment in the bottom of my FV???
As an employee of a local water authority I will say dispose of in a safe fashion at the appropriate centre ;). If you’re asking if it can be re used the answer is it can I believe but this is something the pros do by culturing their own yeast I think. Not too sure myself

As an employee of a local water authority I will say dispose of in a safe fashion at the appropriate centre ;). If you’re asking if it can be re used the answer is it can I believe but this is something the pros do by culturing their own yeast I think. Not too sure myself
Thanks for the help and advice should I leave about a ltr or two in my FV bucket.?.?.?. I was gonna use it to water my plants lol

Back