Bulldog, Evil Dog Double IPA

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Waggy91

Reaction score
Evening all,

Got this kit for my first brew. All set up yesterday. Had the same OG as everyone else after pitching the yeast.

unfortunately over night in the house the temp (unheated) climbed to 28C so I took it outside and it’s dropped to 23C where it’s been since. Does anyone know if I’ve potentially ruined it or is this kit forgiving? It still smells as I would expect and temperature has been stable all day. Bubbling every 6 seconds from the airlock.

Any advice on how to minimise the damage would be much appreciated

Hey Bud,

I brewed this Kit 5 years ago now so take my advice with a pinch of salt. However things like this happen in brewing the important thing is you caught it and corrected. If i recall correctly this Kit takes a while anyway due to the strength so I highly doubt one night at 25+ is going to do a massive amount of damage. Just keep an eye on it from now on best you can and as long as it is still bubbling away your good acheers..

FWIW 23C would still be a tad high for my liking I generally aim for 18-21 ish for IPA/Ale's , again though just see how it turns out.

Hey Bud,

I brewed this Kit 5 years ago now so take my advice with a pinch of salt. However things like this happen in brewing the important thing is you caught it and corrected. If i recall correctly this Kit takes a while anyway due to the strength so I highly doubt one night at 25+ is going to do a massive amount of damage. Just keep an eye on it from now on best you can and as long as it is still bubbling away your good acheers..

FWIW 23C would still be a tad high for my liking I generally aim for 18-21 ish for IPA/Ale's , again though just see how it turns out.

Thanks for the advice. Temp has dropped to 19C now so I’m going to keep it outside with a heat mat on a timer. Working from home today so I can check on it as I please. It’s bubbling at 8 second intervals now.

how did this kit turn out for you? When did you add the hops? I’ve bought another pack because i like mine super hoppy and some have said this isn’t massively hoppy due to the strength.

I’ll keep this thread going with the progress :)

Evening all,

Got this kit for my first brew. All set up yesterday. Had the same OG as everyone else after pitching the yeast.

unfortunately over night in the house the temp (unheated) climbed to 28C so I took it outside and it’s dropped to 23C where it’s been since. Does anyone know if I’ve potentially ruined it or is this kit forgiving? It still smells as I would expect and temperature has been stable all day. Bubbling every 6 seconds from the airlock.

Any advice on how to minimise the damage would be much appreciated

I did this kit, a while ago now. I thought I was clever though and added additional spray malt so the ABV ended up about 10%. I ended up draining quite a lot of it as it just hit like a truck and after drinking it alongside a couple of Coopers I was, err, more than a bit worse for wear.

I wasn't drinking IPA's or DIPA's at the time (I used to stick pretty much exclusively where possible to darks and porters), when I brewed it it was a total experiment. From memory; and now being used to DIPA's; I think it probably would have been a very decent pint at its expected ABV. It certainly didn't need additional malt for abv. If I did it now I would just brew as it was to instructions. I added the hops as per instructions- 3 days I think before bottling?-and remember it being hoppy, probably enough for my tastes now even. If i were you I'd try it as it is for now and maybe tinker with it the next time round if you think it's missing something. As per all brewing though it's your beer so totally up to you!acheers.

Last edited:
I have one of these in my FermZilla and can not wait to see how it turns out.
Never made hop tea, will take a gravity reading today and see were we are. It only went on Friday night (10th), so we are 65 hours in.
21c @12psi

I have one of these in my FermZilla and can not wait to see how it turns out.
Never made hop tea, will take a gravity reading today and see were we are. It only went on Friday night (10th), so we are 65 hours in.
21c @12psi
Thanks Neil, keep me posted. It will be interesting to see how they differ.
I’m going to do my first gravity on Wednesday after putting it on Saturday. I’m away until Monday after that. Smells amazing out of the airlock at the minute though so I’m hopeful. I plan to make my hop tea after fermentation and leave it for 3/4 days before bottle conditioning. Bought some Citra hope to make it really hoppy

Thanks for the advice. Temp has dropped to 19C now so I’m going to keep it outside with a heat mat on a timer. Working from home today so I can check on it as I please. It’s bubbling at 8 second intervals now.

how did this kit turn out for you? When did you add the hops? I’ve bought another pack because i like mine super hoppy and some have said this isn’t massively hoppy due to the strength.

I’ll keep this thread going with the progress :)

From what I remember I brewed as per instructions (probably to 20L) and it was plenty hoppy and drinkable and then hit you like a truck when you drank it too quick.....

From what I remember I brewed as per instructions (probably to 20L) and it was plenty hoppy and drinkable and then hit you like a truck when you drank it too quick.....
Okay excellent, thanks for the heads up!

Managed to control the heat nicely at around 20C since the weekend using a heat mat and a time clock. Bubbles are down to once every 12-13 seconds. Thinking about taking a gravity reading today to see how far along it is. Might be better leaving it until Monday when I’m back from my weekend away.

3 Days, 22 Hours, and i'm down to 1020. Looks like i'm going to be hoping this very soon.

Day 5 and I’m down to 1015. Still think there’s more to go so I’ll leave it until Monday. Had a taste of the sample and there was a very fruity taste followed by the bitterness and then the alcohol. Not sure if this will be due to my temperature incident on day 1 but the kit does say leave for longer. Going to get my hop tea in this morning

Gravity and picture of inside FV. Krausen has disappeared but still getting bubbles every 20 seconds. Does anyone know what this should taste like at this stage?

Attachments

• BBC8126B-17CB-46D8-BE16-DA562589565E.jpeg
    BBC8126B-17CB-46D8-BE16-DA562589565E.jpeg
    26.9 KB · Views: 206
  • CE2BF42E-0868-4F81-860C-9412510D34F6.jpeg
    CE2BF42E-0868-4F81-860C-9412510D34F6.jpeg
    35 KB · Views: 166
Gravity and picture of inside FV. Krausen has disappeared but still getting bubbles every 20 seconds. Does anyone know what this should taste like at this stage?
Done this kit a few times, not tasted it on day 5 but did find it took a while to condition due to the higher alcohol content (i think?)t. It does knock your socks off tho!

Done this kit a few times, not tasted it on day 5 but did find it took a while to condition due to the higher alcohol content (i think?)t. It does knock your socks off tho!
Thanks Stephen, it was quite a strong fruity twang but it’s early days yet I guess. I’ll report back with an update Tuesday.

Yeah, early days. Patience is the key. Look forward to the update.
Just got back from Kraków, lovely beers out there, but my evil dog has dipped in temp over the weekend and is now at 14C. Must have got really cold here or my temperature control using a time clock wasn’t optimised. Haven’t had chance to take a gravity but it’s only day 9-10.

there’s no airlock activity, If I bring it back up to temp will my little yeast friends wake up?

Gravity is down to 1.010. I’ll give it another few days. Seems to have hit FG within the instructions but that’s not what most people have experienced. Tastes quite hoppy but a certain cider twang to it which hopefully will disappear after conditioning.

Gravity is down to 1.010. I’ll give it another few days. Seems to have hit FG within the instructions but that’s not what most people have experienced. Tastes quite hoppy but a certain cider twang to it which hopefully will disappear after conditioning.

Keep us updated!

Little fruitiness can be a good thing. It might age out though. With priming and conditioning this still has a long way to go.

All the Best,
D. White

Keep us updated!

Little fruitiness can be a good thing. It might age out though. With priming and conditioning this still has a long way to go.

All the Best,
D. White
Thanks, appreciate the support on my first brew. If gravity is still static come the weekend I’ll bottle it up and leave it for a few months.

Thanks, appreciate the support on my first brew. If gravity is still static come the weekend I’ll bottle it up and leave it for a few months.

Give it three weeks in the bottle then try one. Try one once a week and learn how the flavor changes.

All the Best,
D. White

Latest posts

Back