Bulldog, Evil Dog Double IPA

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Basic Brewer

Reaction score
This is my 1st ever home brew, I'm 4 days in to the fermentation and its bubbling every 2/3 seconds, was just gonna follow the instructions on my 1st try then start tweaking once I'm confident after a few brews, but after reading all your posts I'm hoping u guys can help me get the beat brew possible lol
1... DO I LEAVE IT FERMENTING TILL IT STOPS BUBBLING.?.?.?.

2... WHEN SHOULD I ADD THE HOPS.?.?.?.

3... HOW DO I KNOW WHEN TO BOTTLE.?.?. (I HAVE THE 500ML GLASS BOTTLES WITH THE GOLD CAPS)
20200322_084803.jpg

Morning, I've done this kit and it is not bad at all. Oh and welcome to the home brew club. Lets see if i can answer your questions,

1. Air lock activity is only a rough guide. The best way to ensure that fermentation has successfully finished is by taking a hydrometer reading to check if you have hit the final gravity. You should be able to take two reading a couple of days apart and they should be the same.

2. I think this is covered in the instructions, but I made my hop tea 4 days before before fermentation finished. I also added the hop tea bags to the fermentation too. You are looking to minimise the beers exposure to oxygen at this point, so the remaining fermentation process will generate a new blanket of CO2 in the fermentation bucket.

3. I keg, so i'm not the best person to ask, but once your beer has finished fermentation then you will be ready to bottle.

Hope it all goes well!!!

Thanks for the help, I checked it today and it read 39/ 1015, wen I checked it 2 days ago it was at 65/1025... I'm using this (see pic) to check it
15852384304191234553914414701525.jpg

1015 is perfect. Give it another day or two and take another reading. If the same reading, prime you bottles with sugar and get the beer bottled.

What does SG mean??
When I come to bottling it up do I put sugar in every bottle or can I just add the sugar to my FV then bottle it??
This is my suger...
And my next brew, as long as this one goes well lol it's the brew that came with my brewing set it's only 5.5 vol
15852590811291551692218413171240.jpg

I have been checking my FG every day, I pull out my air lock and syfon sum beer out to test, should I keep doing that or leave it a few days??

SG is specific gravity. One of the scales on your hydrometer is SG, you've told us of readings 1.025, 1.015, these are specific gravity.

OG stands for original gravity - the original specific gravity.
FG stands for final gravity - the final specific gravity - that is when fermentation has just about stopped and the yeast can't/won't convert any more sugar to alcohol (and co2).

Your kit instructions will tell you roughly what the expected FG should be.

Ideally you should just let it ferment away for 10 days before checking the gravity (SG) with your hydrometer. It should be somewhere in the range 1.010-1.015 for your average kit.
Wait 2 more days and check the SG again. If the last reading is lower than the one before, wait 2 more days. When you get 2 readings the same and your air lock is bubbling slower than once every 45 seconds, fermentation is just about done and it's probably safe to bottle.

Many kits give silly short times for fermentation, whereas they realistically take up to 3 weeks to finish. Be patient and wait until that gravity drops!

Thank You For All Your Help And Advice It's Been Greatly Appreciated...👍...I Don't Know What It Is But Ever Since I Started My First Batch (THIS ONE) I Can't Stop Mothering Her...LoL...I've Got Her In My Living Room Under My Side Table (SO SHE'S NEXT TO ME ALL DAY LONG LOL)... How Do You Know What % It Is using My Hydrometer.?.?.?.
IMG_20200326_234628.jpg
IMG_20200326_234628.jpg

The Instructions For This *MAD DOG* Say add HOPS between 4 and 8 days, but it also says to bottle it after 10 Days...
15852668111295120631000656588444.jpg

Just So I've Understood You Correctly, I Should Add Hop (TEA~BAGS) On Day 19.?.?.?. And Bottle on Day 21.?.?.?. Cool it down for a week, then let it warm bk up and leave it for about 6/8 weeks b4 drinking it.?.?.?.
So basically...~~>
1...Leave it alone for another 13 days.
2...Add Hop Bags + leave 4 2 days.
3...Add 100g of Brewing sugar to my FV, Stir then Bottle.
4...Leave Bottles in the Fridge 4 A Week.
5...Take Them Out The Fridge 4 a Week.
6...Wait as Long As I Can B4 I Drink It (PREFERABLY BETWEEN 6 TO 8 WEEKS).
7...FINALLY INVITE SOME FRIEND ROUND AND GET ******.?.?.?. LMAO...

Attachments

• IMG_20200326_234637.jpg
    IMG_20200326_234637.jpg
    11.9 KB · Views: 152

Latest posts

Back