Bulldog, Evil Dog Double IPA

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Basic Brewer

Reaction score
What does FG and OG mean?? And how do I test them with my HYDROMETER?? 15851022449232926870690989960200.jpg

What does FG and OG mean?? And how do I test them with my HYDROMETER??View attachment 23773
OG is original gravity, that you take before sealing in. FG is final gravity and this is taken before bottling or kegging to ensure fermentation is complete.

to test your hydrometer fill a container, deep enough to take the full length of the hydrometer, withwater as close to 20C as practically possible andput it in the container. It should settle at 1.000

My OG was 143/ 1054... and I checked it today and it was 39/1014.. and it's been brewing for 5days today

My OG was 143/ 1054... and I checked it today and it was 39/1014.. and it's been brewing for 5days today
Yeah mine went off like a rocket and hit near FG within 5 days but you should deffo let it sit for 21 days to fully ferment and let it do its thing. then cold crash for a week to let it settle.

I Then bottled mine with 4g of suger per 500ml. Left them in the warm (21C) for 2 weeks then in the cold for 2 weeks before trying one. Have to say it was probably at its best 6-8 weeks after bottling so try and take it steady until its fully matured.

This was my first brew and i was happy with the outcome but realised where i could make improvments. My Youngs AIPA has come out absolutley beauftiful.

So should I add hops on day 21 or 19???
Should I leave it at normal temp till I bottle it.?..?. Then cool it down???

The temperature is holding steady at around 22°... I'm Was A Bit Worried At First As It Didn't Start Bubbling Till I warmed it up The Second Day, the day I made it, I left it in my pantry over night and the temp dropped to around 14° (I HAD TO PUT IT IN THE SINK FULL OF HOT WATER TO WARM IT BACK UP) but as soon as the temp hit around 24° She started bubbling like crazy (EVERY OTHER SECOND) since then I've kept her in my Living Room and she's stayed Between 20° and 24° the bubbling has gradually slowed down, now she's burping every 10/15 Seconds, I have taken 3 readings,
Day~~~>>,
1, was @ 143/1054...
3, was @ 65/ 1024...
6 (2DAY), was @ 39/1014...
Am I doing it right.?.?.?. Should I check it every day or every few days.?.?.?.
When should I add the Hops.?.?.?. I ALREADY HAVE MY NEXT BEER READY AND WAITING TO GO LOL I'VE GOT ALL OUT WITH MY NEW HOBBY, I'VE BROUGHT THE BEER BREW KIT, A 5.5% I.P.A, 50 500ml GLASS BOTTLES, 300 GOLD CAPS, A CAPPER AND 1kg BREWING SUGAR...
IS THERE ANY THING ELSE I SHOULD BUY.?.?.?.
IMG_20200326_230004.jpg
1585265153075106774376828030905.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20200326_225920.jpg
    IMG_20200326_225920.jpg
    15.4 KB · Views: 126
Mine was in the FV for 35 days and I added the hops on day 31. Do not keep checking it, every time you open the FV you are risking infection, leave it for at least two weeks. So Check the SG at the Start and the FG after at least two weeks, but if it is still bubbling after two weeks check it again at three weeks, it will not do it any harm leaving it but keep opening it may!

How did it taste??
It was fairly hoppy, I did have temp control issues at the start which caused some off flavour. Have it a home brew taste but it was drinkable. It was my first attempt so I didn’t expect perfection. My advice would be give it time, don’t rush it, keep everything clean and when it’s bottled after 2 weeks In the warm check one for carbonation then put them somewhere cool for 2-4 weeks and try one every week.

I tried some today for the 1st time, I only had the bit I used to test the FV it was beautiful but a bit flat will that change when I add HOPS and sugar?? It tested out at 1012 I'm gonna give it a few more days then add the HOPS, the head has gone off the top of my bucket aswell, is that normal?? This is my 1st ever try and it tastes amazing if I do say so my self lol and that's b4 i even add the HOPS

Glad its turned out alright, yes it will carb up during the second fermentation in the bottles/keg, make sure you leave it carbing for a couple of weeks during which time it will clear completely. I always bottle at least one in a PET(plastic) bottle so you can monitor the carbing as it will go rock hard when fully carb up.

All help and tips greatly appreciated... I'm 10 days in, its bubbling once every minute so I'm getting close now

Latest posts

Back