Bulldog Evil Dog Instructions

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Meme

Reaction score
I am about to brew Bulldog Evil Dog American Double IPA. It will only be my seventh brew and I am still a novice.

I am worried about the instruction re kegging where it says "add 150g of sugar"

I bottle my beer and use a bottling bucket to which I normally add 100g of sugar before bottling. 150g seems like an awful lot of sugar when two thirds of that amount has been giving me quite lively beer.

Should I follow or disregard the instruction?

I did this kit recently and batch primed with about 85g of ordinary sugar. (I can't remember my exact volume in the fv though) and it came out perfectly carbonated, so for me 150g does seem a wee bit high.

I done this recently and I primed with 100 grams of sugar as I had brewed to near 23 litres. I have no idea if it's the right amount but wouldn't put any more in it than that

I used 130g for the four finger jack kit and its just about right... these are american ales so better to be well carb'd than under!

Anyone got this kits instructions and willing to post them here. I have the kit but somehow lost the instructions. Be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance.

Rotate left to view - either you or the PDF ;)

http://dl.dbg400.net/Bulldog_Evil_Dog.pdf

I went wrong on this one with the hop tea bag. Admittedly it had a couple of minutes short of the 10 specified, but it did go in the FV 24 hours before bottling. There is no obvious hop aroma or taste, though it is still an enjoyable pint (at 7.1% it should be). Never had any trouble with hop pellets in the Festival kits, so I will see how I get on the next time I do a Bulldog kit.

The best advice is to leave this beer in the FV for 3 weeks - adding the hop tea bags 1/2 days before bottling. Anything less and it won't be fermented out, not to mention unclear and leaving your bottles full of sediment.

The best advice is to leave this beer in the FV for 3 weeks - adding the hop tea bags 1/2 days before bottling. Anything less and it won't be fermented out, not to mention unclear and leaving your bottles full of sediment.

That's exactly what I did - hops added on day 20, bottled on day 21. The bottles were clear by the time secondary had finished. if anything it was too clear, as the carbonation isn't as good as other brews I've done.

That's exactly what I did - hops added on day 20, bottled on day 21. The bottles were clear by the time secondary had finished. if anything it was too clear, as the carbonation isn't as good as other brews I've done.

The yeast in this kit is beastly - it chomped mine down from 1070 to 1002 and the gravity was dropping right until day 19, so I doubt yours will fail to carbonate given time - there will still be some yeast in suspension even if it's clear. How long did you let it sit in primary? My last batch of this was in the one FV right until bottling, and it worked a treat. Also how much priming sugar did you use? The kit suggests rather a large amount IIRC. I did the standard tsp/500ml.

It sat in the primary the whole time, hops added the day before transferring to the bottling bucket, primed with 100g of dissolved light spray malt. My notes have 100g for bottling and 150g for a barrel - not sure if I got that from the instructions or found it online. It hardly changed in the last week, and was nearly clear when bottled, more so than any other brew I've done before. Still tastes good, but just not what I was expecting. I don't think I'm going to find it difficult drinking my way through it, anyhow!

Reviving this thread for a simple question - what size FV did you guys use? They recommend 27L for all the knicker-twisting it'll do near the lid with so much krausen etc - will I get away with my standard 23L? I've only brewed this strength beer before once, but it was 9L so didn't matter. Thanks.

I did it in a standard 23L bin with no problems. I did fit a blow off tube but nothing came through it. There was a bit of gunk stuck to the underside of the lid, but that's not unusual for me when doing a 'full' 23L batch.

I did it in a standard 23L bin with no problems. I did fit a blow off tube but nothing came through it. There was a bit of gunk stuck to the underside of the lid, but that's not unusual for me when doing a 'full' 23L batch.

Brilliant, thanks. I'll sit it at 18-19° for 3 weeks anyway, low and slow. Hopefully that'll help pump the brakes

Just bottled this guy today, after 3.5 weeks in FV. 1060 down to 1007, so 7% ish. I had left a little extract in the bag to begin with, had trouble swishing all of it out so not quite the stated abv.

The smell is bloody gorgeous. I drank the trial jar and honestly that wasn't half bad either. Primed with 100g sugar, I know some have gone way higher but I ran out of PET bottles, had to turn to glass spares, don't want any bottle b0mbs. Aside from this I'm not fond of overly carbonated beer anyway.

Shall open one of these in 11 weeks. I've found it's far easier to resist drinking it young when you just crack right on with the next brew...

Latest posts

Back