Bulldog Four finger Jack American Pale ale.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So 7 days in and just had a peek still lots of foamy Krusen but not touching the lid anymore!! Unless it slows down drastically this week I have a feeling this could be a 3 week Fermenter!

Can't believe someone said it was slow to start!!!!

The Mrs is due to give birth next weekend so it's staying in the FV for 3 weeks whatever!!!!

It was slow! Normally the bubbling starts within 12-24 hours and this time it was 48 hours before anything started. It's going well now though.

Hope everything goes well next weekend - or whenever it turns out to be :)

there is still a head on this after 18 days, I was hoping to bottle this weekend and still need to add the hops 2 days before bottling. Should I just wait for this to subside or skim off the head, take a reading and hope its finished fermenting?

I started this on Monday night and have had some activity tonight when I checked on it bubbling away nicely. I've not opened the lid yet going to wait for 10 day. It's my first brew and can't wait to try it .

Still going strong after starting it off last Wednesday. The temperature drop yesterday (down to 1C here) slowed things down as the heater in the water bath didn't do well trying to maintain 15 degrees above ambient. It got down to 17C (was 20C) overnight so popped in a secondary heater and it's livened up again. It'll be staying in the FV at least until next weekend, and if it slows down after this weekend the hops can go in in a week.

Bottled it last night. Smelt very sweet & fruity, probably the ester smell others have mentioned. I just hope it settles down in the bottle. Also very cloudy but hoping that will also settle when I move it out to the cold for conditioning

Mine is still bubbling away happily, two weeks after starting, so the hops aren't going in yet. Hopefully it will calm down in the next few days so the hops can go in, and be bottled at the weekend.

Ok so due to Mrs giving birth mine has been in the FV nearly 3 weeks!

Tested gravity today down to 1006 from 1051 chucked in the hops in a cup of water! Plan on sticking it in the keg at the weekend in between newborn nappies and naps!!

Boy? Girl? Mum & baby doing well??? If the baby is sleeping try and get some yourself! Best bit of advice I was given before our first.

Despite saying it was going strongly yesterday it had slowed right down by this morning and stopped by tonight. Gravity at 1.008. The hop tea bags were put in a small pan half full of boiling water and boiled for ten minutes, cooled down & added to the FV. Lots of hop punch this time round** :)

**The last (and first) Bulldog kit I did (Evil Dog Double IPA) I put the hops in a mug of boiling water but there was virtually no hop aroma. Consequently the beer is almost entirely lacking in flavour. I'm drinking my way through it, but about the only good side is the 7.1%, so at least i notice I've had one, even if I can't taste it!

Hi it was a boy! Doing good now we are home he had3 days in intensive care! Very traumatic!!!! All good now!

Damn I just hopped in a mug!! Oh well might leave them in a extra day or so!!!!

On the instructions it says priming sugar 150grms! After reading that does sound excessive! Might stick 125 in!!!!

Thanks for the advice sleeping is a issue! Expect random posts on here to keep my sanity!

I did the mug thing for the hops and was underwhelmed by the aroma when bottling.

Gratz on the baby by the way :)

Been in the 1st for 10 days the reading is at 1.010. The hop tea bags are in And will be transferring to the bottling bucket tomorrow or Saturday.

I rarely use more than 100g, though I think the Festival & Youngs kits might include 125g. I did 125 for the Evil Dog, so will do the same again for this. Planning on bottling tonight, if I get sufficient time.

Got mine all bottled tonight first taste of my first brew I'm impressed. Now to get the next brew on tomorrow.

I just put the hops in today after 3 weeks. Aim to keg on Sunday morning. Should be right for New Year's Eve. :-)

In the end I used 130g, as I had a bag of priming sugar left over from a Young's Saison kit (I primed with honey instead). Lovely hop aroma this time, and I had a taste of the last bit from the bottling bin and it was quite drinkable - this should be a good one.

If I do any more of the Bulldog kits I won't bother with the hop tea bags - I'll just cut them open and add the hop pellets loose. They were just floating on top of the beer, and some of the hop mush was above the level of the liquid.

Back