Bulldog Premium Evil Dog Double IPA

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dillbert

Reaction score
Hi All.
I followed all the instructions - didn't add any extras and brewed at the right temperatures.
Bottle conditioned for 3 weeks then tried one - Had a nasty aftertaste kinda off bananas.
Have left now for 2 months in the cold dark garage and it has got worse if anything.
Almost undrinkable. I am considering chucking it to free up bottles/shelf space.
A friend did the same kit in the summer and he says it turned out pretty bad but he put it down to fluctuating temps when fermenting - it was in the middle of the hot week in July.
I won't be trying it again but was just wondering if anyone had had success with this kit or is it supposed to taste like cr#p.
Cheers

i have done two of these and was pleased with the results.
i did shortfill and add extra fermentables (and extra hops in the second) but thought both were decent.
wouldn't have bought another if it was nasty.
friend has done one too and he's enjoying it.
know this isn't helping with yours. sorry you got a bad result.

There are a couple of reasons your beer might have a banana aroma and tart taste. The main answer is "esters". You can get esters because of a hot fermentation (over 75˚ or so), or also because of a lack of oxygen in the wort during fermentation (low aeration).

I had a similar experience with this kit, the garage where it was fermenting stank of bananas but it was brewed at 19C. The taste was of bananas too, mellowed slightly to more like an Affligem after a couple of months. Did take me longer than normal to dispatch it too as was hoping for more of a characteristic IPA. It was my second ever brew so didn't know if it was the way it should taste, I've got another one on the shelf to give it another try. Do think all the Bulldog brews I've done so far are really missing on the hops front though...

Thanks Guys. I don't think the fermentation temp got too high so I will have to take more care aerating the wort - didn't realise it was so important.
Wont try it again though as I've now discovered Mangrove Jacks Juicy Session IPA and with extra 1.2kg Liquid Malt and 1kg Dextrose I get a truly wonderful beer IMO.

Yes, the JIPA should restore your faith in brewing! There's little more frustrating than a rubbish brew....all that effort, then the reluctance/guilt when you finally chuck it all away...

I've brewed dog twice, cat twice and hammer four times, I've brewed the kits exactly to the instructions nothing extra and not short.
I've been very happy with the results and not had a bad brew so far .
It's bit of a suprise to read yours and others experience, but I suppose one man's meat is another man's poison applies here.

Mark

I've now discovered Mangrove Jacks Juicy Session IPA and with extra 1.2kg Liquid Malt and 1kg Dextrose I get a truly wonderful beer IMO.
What volume do you brew that at - still 23 litres with a higher ABV or do you increase the volume? I have one conditioning brewed to 23 litres with just 1.2kg LME. Sorry to hijack!

I wonder if there has been some problem lately.

Previously I did a Triple Tykes and a Pennine Peak. They were good.

Recently I did another Pennine Peak and it was my first ever difficult brew. First of all it finished at 1020. Not stalled but finished. Something not right there.

I bottled anyway and it has carbonated exactly as expected but doesn't taste particularly nice at all.

I intend to try one more bottle but if it's no good, the rest are going down the drain.

What volume do you brew that at - still 23 litres with a higher ABV or do you increase the volume? I have one conditioning brewed to 23 litres with just 1.2kg LME. Sorry to hijack!
23litres. Comes out at about 6.8%. I aim all my brews to be between 6 and 7% - the missus thinks i'm not drinking as much when i only have 2 or 3.

Evil Dog was one of the first kits I tried and ultimately has to shoulder some of the blame for getting me into this obsessive hobby. Didn't turn out too bad in the end, but if I did it again (and I am) then I'm going to wait until it's actually finished before adding the finishing hops. As opposed to when the instructions say it should be finished.

That said it's perfectly drinkable but any more than 4 bottles and you have a hangover that feels as though there are two Frenchmen living in your head.

Back