Burned Beer - BIAB with a PECO boiler

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HeavensBrew

Reaction score
I was making an ale yesterday and could smell a burnt smell during the boil in my Peco boiler. I completed the boil anyway and transferred to the FV anyway.

I was using the BIAB system and running a 75 min boil of my wort in a peco boiler (a peco is basically an FV with a heating element and a temperature control).

Cleaning my Peco I found that the residue had stuck to the heating element and burned black. I assume I should now tip that ale away (unless someone tells me otherwise), but I would also like to avoid that happening again. The element was clean before use and I have used this Peco at least 8 times without this issue.

Any thoughts?

Unfortunately I've heard that scorched wort usually results in bad beer but if you've got it in the FV already then you might as well let it run for a week and then taste a sample to see if it's OK or not.

Stirring during the ramp up to the boil is the way to avoid this. Once the wort starts to boil you can stop stirring.

I've got an Ace boiler with the element under the base. Occasionally I get wort burning on where the element is under. Usually things like stout where there's a lot of fine dust in the dark malts/roast barley. Never had it flavour the beer though. As has been said stirring will help avoid it. Also don't squeeze the bag until after the boil has started as it's when squeezing you get the fine stuff coming out.

Thanks. Always something new to learn. Do you still get such issues with the all in one system like brewzilla/Brew Monk/Hopcat/etc?

My guess is that I made the following errors:
1) I stirred the grain bag to the bottom.
2) Transferred too much of the dregs of the wort. I did have that running through a hop spider as a filter, but I must have still over done it.
3) did not stir wort while bring to the boil.

This counted more as wheat malt was part of the grain bill.

My solution
1) Increase the cleaning regime on the Peco.
2) won't crush the grain so fine
3) wont stir the grain bag after elimination of dough balls. Vorlauf only during the mash.
4) after mashing, let the wort run out of the tap without tipping the vessel. (to leave the dregs in the vessels and not boil them).
5) stir wort to reach the boil.

This Ale - I probably won't risk the planned 150g dry hop on it. Instead I will let it ferment for a week before a trial taste of the wort. I might transfer it to a new FV via the finest mesh on a bouncer first though. I think the odds of a decent drink are against this one though...

I must say that the FV is bubbling away happily and smells rather good. Let's hope I got away with it.

I've got an Ace boiler with the element under the base. Occasionally I get wort burning on where the element is under. Usually things like stout where there's a lot of fine dust in the dark malts/roast barley. Never had it flavour the beer though. As has been said stirring will help avoid it. Also don't squeeze the bag until after the boil has started as it's when squeezing you get the fine stuff coming out.
Hi Cwrw666 what temp are you using to boil on the Ace as I boil at 1900 and do not get much burning at all. I have heard that keeping a high temp on any of the All in one systems can cause scorching - just a thought if you are boiling at top end temps

Thanks. Always something new to learn. Do you still get such issues with the all in one system like brewzilla/Brew Monk/Hopcat/etc?

My guess is that I made the following errors:
1) I stirred the grain bag to the bottom.
2) Transferred too much of the dregs of the wort. I did have that running through a hop spider as a filter, but I must have still over done it.
3) did not stir wort while bring to the boil.

This counted more as wheat malt was part of the grain bill.

My solution
1) Increase the cleaning regime on the Peco.
2) won't crush the grain so fine
3) wont stir the grain bag after elimination of dough balls. Vorlauf only during the mash.
4) after mashing, let the wort run out of the tap without tipping the vessel. (to leave the dregs in the vessels and not boil them).
5) stir wort to reach the boil.

This Ale - I probably won't risk the planned 150g dry hop on it. Instead I will let it ferment for a week before a trial taste of the wort. I might transfer it to a new FV via the finest mesh on a bouncer first though. I think the odds of a decent drink are against this one though...

Speaking from painful experience, it's error 3 that causes the scorching.

I've found that not cleaning the bottom of my pot properly can lead to a burnt flavour.

Back