Busy Bottling

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wez

Landlord.
Reaction score
I know that a few of you bottle all your beer, but so far i've only ever bottled a maximum of 6 from a batch so this afternoon was a first for me to bottle a whole batch. :cool:

Ended up with 30x 500ml bottles and 15x 330ml (SNPA) bottles filled

The beer is 'Harvest Gold' (Bobeks and Cascade, nice colour and tasted good from the FV)

Here they are :party:

10082008774.jpg

Funny you should say that, i bottled a whole batch myself today :party: i'm now the proud owner of 36 500ml bottles and one 650ml bottle of Smoke on the Water :cheers:

is bottling normally as knackering as the 28 i did yesterday? hehe

i think i'll up my grains a bit so i can squeeze 25L into my fermenters. keg 19L of it into my cornie, then bottle the rest.

I dont think i'll ever bottle a whole batch of beer though :roll:

And no....I don't know why :?
Glass conditioned beer is much brighter and fresher in taste IMO than corny and plastic beer.
However, you could say that properly corny'd beer resembles properly caksed ale, more closely.

Draught SNPA is better than the bottled equiv....and it's one of the few that is....IMO

I can't have cornie beer against bottled beer, every beer i have ever brewed that went into bottles and a cornie, the bottles won every time by a long shot :party:

I've got to agree....If I wasn't so lazy I'd bottle all my beers :roll:
Having said that, there's a local near me that serves Lancaster Bomber on draught, and it's sooooo smooth, a bottled version would do it an injustice.
I've tried Tesco's bottled LB and you can't tell it's the same beer :evil:

I hate bottling but i have been seriously considering for the last month or so getting rid of a few cornies and only keeping one. That way i'd be forced to bottle most of what i brew. The problem is cornies are so easy :(

I view corny's as cask ale, they need to be served in tip top condition.
For some reason they scrub hoppiness with age, and IME, even a lot of maltiness.
Bottles don't seem to suffer this problem.

Having said that, the scope for sloppy craftmanship is greater with a corny.....horses for courses :roll

I'm not sure I agree with the statement that bottles are better than cornies, in my experience I can turn out a pub quality pint from either a corni or polypin, the same cannot be said of bottles. It is very difficult to get the carbonation right in a bottle and beer matures better in bulk.

I may have to do a blind tasting just to see but I'm betting that a well kept corni or polypin would out perform a well kept bottle any day of the week. If anyone is up north next month you're welcome to come and take the pepsi challenge as I've some Lucky7 in the fermenter.

Incidentally I'll be serving the Lucky7 at the town festival too if anyone is in the neighbourhood

There's a 50/50 chance of getting the right answer with that taste test ;) hehe

i'm going to do this taste test either the Wasp Stinger in the fermenter, or the next brew i do. I'm just trying to find a cheaper supplier of bottles as i'm betting the HBS are making quite a mark-up, so have requested quotes straight from the source.

Will let you know my opinion though as and when i've got some bottled and kegged brew for which to test :)

Back