Busy times from home brew shops

Help Support The HomeBrew Forum:

Northern_Brewer

Regular.
Reaction score
Production cycle of hops is an annual one, people will be contracting hops a year or more in advance and then storing them - and typically they are bought in "brewery" quantities and then broken down into retail packs by (bigger) retailers themselves.

Yeast are produced through the year so people don't worry about buying them in advance, indeed the shelflife of liquid yeast in particular means that you should be buying them little and often. In general yeast are packed into retail amounts by the manufacturer, so retailers are completely dependent on getting them from manufacturers, and there may be something of a lag when suddenly the demand for 500g packs from breweries collapses and demand for 10g packs from homebrewers soars.

[on Twitter Malt Miller are saying they'll start taking orders again this afternoon, BrewUK already are but say allow a week for delivery as couriers are not able to give them definite timings at the moment]

MyQul

Chairman of the Bored
Reaction score
Production cycle of hops is an annual one, people will be contracting hops a year or more in advance and then storing them - and typically they are bought in "brewery" quantities and then broken down into retail packs by (bigger) retailers themselves.

Yeast are produced through the year so people don't worry about buying them in advance, indeed the shelflife of liquid yeast in particular means that you should be buying them little and often. In general yeast are packed into retail amounts by the manufacturer, so retailers are completely dependent on getting them from manufacturers, and there may be something of a lag when suddenly the demand for 500g packs from breweries collapses and demand for 10g packs from homebrewers soars.

[on Twitter Malt Miller are saying they'll start taking orders again this afternoon, BrewUK already are but say allow a week for delivery as couriers are not able to give them definite timings at the moment]
Nice explanation NB :hat:

Desmnd

Reaction score
York used to have it's own brewery but it was bought out by Black Sheep. I used to get samples from them and do a talk in a college about home brew.

Brew2bottle Homebrew

THBF Sponsor.
THBF Sponsor
Reaction score
I know @Brew2bottle Homebrew must be rammed, as my order that I placed on Sunday is yet to be fulfilled. Items are nice to haves rather than needs.
Hi guys

Apologies for the delays still on getting some orders out of the door but we are catching up now. That said as of right now we're still working through Saturdays orders. We anticipate we'll be more or less back on track by the end of play tomorrow.

In a nutshell it's been crazy, and I imagine every other site out there is in the same boat... when Boris closed the pubs it was as though someone had turned the world upside down and we'd started selling toilet roll. To give you an idea of how busy it's been, that Friday evening we took as many orders as we'd usually take in around 10 days.

Sales are still through the roof and we apologise for the bare shelves over the last week or so. We went straight onto a war footing and placed some huge orders with suppliers etc... last week though the deliveries hardly touched the sides. This week we're getting more and more in as suppliers respond to the increased demand and we're getting back on track.

Again we'd like to thank everyone for their patience and understanding in these unbelivable times.

Cheers

MyQul

Chairman of the Bored
Reaction score
Hi guys

Apologies for the delays still on getting some orders out of the door but we are catching up now. That said as of right now we're still working through Saturdays orders. We anticipate we'll be more or less back on track by the end of play tomorrow.

In a nutshell it's been crazy, and I imagine every other site out there is in the same boat... when Boris closed the pubs it was as though someone had turned the world upside down and we'd started selling toilet roll. To give you an idea of how busy it's been, that Friday evening we took as many orders as we'd usually take in around 10 days.

Sales are still through the roof and we apologise for the bare shelves over the last week or so. We went straight onto a war footing and placed some huge orders with suppliers etc... last week though the deliveries hardly touched the sides. This week we're getting more and more in as suppliers respond to the increased demand and we're getting back on track.

Again we'd like to thank everyone for their patience and understanding in these unbelivable times.

Cheers
Thanks for giving us an insight to whats happening at the coal face (re: online HB shops)

Deathstar

Reaction score
Hi guys

Cheers
No need to apologise, I fully understand. My order arrived, and I soon placed another for some other stuff. 👍

chuffer

Landlord.
Reaction score
My THBC order arrived this morning.
Mine too, seems to be a 6 day turnaround from when ordered....which I think is fair enough at the moment, people just need to bear with and be a bit patient

Telemaster18

Reaction score
CML are still selling hops on their Ebay shop but no yeast. I wonder why?
I bought some yeast from their eBay shop a couple of days ago. It kept disappearing and coming back on as available so I just kept checking and then ordered when it was there.

Markk

Regular.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I bought some yeast from their eBay shop a couple of days ago. It kept disappearing and coming back on as available so I just kept checking and then ordered when it was there.
It is back up now but with limited availability.

Jon75

Reaction score
Same here, also ordered from BrewUK on the 23rd and not yet shipped, fingers crossed it will sometime this week.

One of our local small breweries is closing down at the weekend so I'm considering ordering some beers from them and asking if they'll sell me some grain/hops too.
I also put an order in with BrewUK on 23rd March, still showing as processing. I understand they are very busy so I'll give until later this week before chasing.

matt76

Landlord.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I also put an order in with BrewUK on 23rd March, still showing as processing. I understand they are very busy so I'll give until later this week before chasing.
Yeah, still the same for me. Also saw similar on Twitter from a guy who ordered on 22nd. I keep checking back on the website but no change in the status.

matt76

Landlord.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
YAY! clapa Just had an email from Brew UK to say may order placed on 23rd March has finally been dispatched acheers.

dad_of_jon

Beer designer
Reaction score
I have an order in with brewuk placed aroud 27th not expecting it for a week or so, no worries I wont have a free FV till 13th April. As for bottletops - wilco had some in my local store earlier this week.

NPi

Reaction score
Sorry if it's slightly off topic. I was hoping to do my first BIAB AG brew shortly, but so far I can't find a single online shop that has everything I need.

• 2kg Maris Otter
  • One packet of hops
  • One packet of yeast, 6g
  • Thermometer
  • Strain bag
I am also trying to order a decent value 15l stock pot. Any words of caution for those on Ebay, they look of lesser quality, but is this an issue?

Cheers all
Nick acheers.

Clint

Hammered.....
Reaction score
Look at forum sponsor Brew2Bottle...you can get everything except your hops. For hops I'd go on eBay look for crossmyloof...
For a 15 litre stock pot...Wilko.

NPi

Reaction score
Thanks Clint, I had 30 swing top bottles from them recently, great service and value.