Busy times from home brew shops

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It needs to be remembered that in order to fulfil all these orders people are having to go into their place of work and also have to make the deliveries. This will inevitably cause a risk of them coming into contact with others or handling items others have also touched etc. The risk of infection may be kept to a minimum but there will still be a greater risk to them, their families and wider society than if they stayed at home as per the government's advice.

I am a manager of an independent garden centre and we have taken the difficult decision with a heavy heart to close all forms of business including our delivery service in order to allow all our staff to be at home and as safe as possible. This is at a time when demand is at an unprecedented high. The safety of the staff has to come before the business and the 'needs' of customers. When we are allowed to return to work and all of our staff and their families are safe and well then I will know it was the right decision.

Stay safe everyone.

What home brew supply shops are people currently using? Malt miller isn't taking orders at the moment.

I have enough grain for one more brew, a Cali common style.

But after that I am out of supplies!

I'm treating deliveries similar to the post , wipe down anything with a hard / shiny surface with a antibac wipe and wash hands afterwards.
All this cleaning wiping down is probably easier for us home brew fans to remember as we are used to doing it .

Mark

I'm treating deliveries similar to the post , wipe down anything with a hard / shiny surface with a antibac wipe and wash hands afterwards.
Yep. Just spent 40 minutes dunking everything from an Asda delivery into soapy water and letting them sit on the draining board and rack, or spraying down things un-dunkable. I had socks on my hands, too, that I threw in the washing machine after. I threw in a pretend hand-grenade after, slammed the door and shouted "Fire in the hole!"

I ordered a selection of yeasts on Saturday via ebay, but had to use 3 different sellers. All quoted delivery between Weds 25th and Thur 26th, one arrived Tuesday, still waiting on the others.

Noticed this morning that I am running low on bottle caps, got one batch ready for bottling in the next few days and brewing another today. Placed an order for 250 earlier, delivery 7 - 10 days, Just hope they turn up.
Bottle caps are "once only" aren't they? For a laugh, I bottled a pilsner in Heineken bottles and capped it with Guinness caps. I put them in a saucepan, brought them to the boil and reinsed them with cold water. Not a single cap failed. If you don't believe me, just try it with one or two old caps.

Sounds like you’ve gone “Apocalypse Now” on us, probably brought on by fever - I think you might have it!
About another 200 gone this 24 hours. It's a bit apocalyptic, I should say. Expecting that toll to be more rather than less tomorrow. Not saying by how much, but I'm not optimistic.

I’m due my malt miller delivery today. After I ordered I realised I forgot to order yeast so I’m getting that from an eBay Homebrew shop and should be delivered today or tomorrow.

That means I’ll have 2 brews in the fridge (a Cali Common and English pale), a blonde ale fermenting, a Vienna lager to make tomorrow, an APA to go on after the blonde is carbed and a Czech lager to go on after the Vienna is carbed. I also have about a dozen bottles of cooking lager left over from New Year(Corona and Aldi pilsner so actually half decent stuff although some will disagree about Corona it’s probably my favourite macro brew and the only one I can drink much of without being fed up). I should be sorted for the rest of Armageddon!
Cooking lager
I will tell that to swmbo
I’ve had 5 of those before Ive switched the oven on.

I am sure one member has posted that he reuses his more than twice.
My hero of brewing's tip #1

I tried it a few times and it definitely does work if you open the cap non-destructively. I ran out of caps once and had about 6 bottles left. I push caps back on bottles I've drunk and put them outside or in shed to stop the slugs getting in and it's them I cleaned and used.

I bought 3 brews worth of malts from GEB today hoping that they are still able to deliver next week. My normal order amount, just brought forward by about 2 weeks.

I always re-use caps but you need a bottle opener that doesn't dent the top. Usually only once but I've got some Tomos Watkin caps printed with a Welsh flag that I use over and over again.
I always use the cheapest, nastiest looking folded steel plate bottle opener, which is brilliant at opening, but does leave a big dent in the cap. I will try keeping a few caps back to test on my next batch.

NOOOOOOOO! I'd forgotten all about caps. Think I have enough for one, possibly two brews and I've already got a full FV which will be ready next weekend aheadbutt
I'm off to ebay I guess.
When you open beer caps put a penny on top of the cap and it will stop that dent in the top that most beer openers cause making them more reusable

When you open beer caps put a penny on top of the cap and it will stop that dent in the top that most beer openers cause making them more reusable
Never thought of that but fortunately I have 2 bottle openers that don't damage the cap at all. On re-using I push them on by hand then use my 2 lever capper to give it a little squeeze but you have to be careful as it's quite easy to be heavy handed and snap the bottle neck off.

Latest posts

Back