Busy times from home brew shops

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry if it's slightly off topic. I was hoping to do my first BIAB AG brew shortly, but so far I can't find a single online shop that has everything I need.

• 2kg Maris Otter
  • One packet of hops
  • One packet of yeast, 6g
  • Thermometer
  • Strain bag
I am also trying to order a decent value 15l stock pot. Any words of caution for those on Ebay, they look of lesser quality, but is this an issue?

Cheers all
Nick acheers.

The wilko 12L SS stockpot is actually 15L to the brim

Look at forum sponsor Brew2Bottle...you can get everything except your hops. For hops I'd go on eBay look for crossmyloof...
For a 15 litre stock pot...Wilko.

Just put an order in with them. Thanks

The Wilko pot is not in stock (no pun intended). But there is an extra large stock pot on the Aldi website that I have ordered. No measurements, but it looks over the needed 10l. Here's hoping!

Cheers all
Nick acheers.

Problem for me is that while I try to stick to drinking only on Froday and the weekend, suddenly all my drinking is at home, I.e typically I would go to the pub on Friday, on a Saturday I often went to a bottle shop/pub in Oxford, that filled growlers, so would only be drinking my own beer on Sunday, and little if any on the other two days. Now while I’m working through some of my stock of, commercial beer it’s suddenly mostly home brew so drinking twice as much of it if not more.
I know that feeling too, on the one hand it's good that I am buying more homebrew kits as normally I would go to the pub and use my HB as a starter for a few pints before going to the pub. So in turn it is far cheaper and I am buying other stuff ie clothers. On the other, I am gagging for a pint as my local does a lot of different craft beers that I cannot brew at home as I am a extract brewer for now.

Brew2bottle are no longer doing next day delivery and all orders are specced now for 5 days. GJ I bought five kits last week hehe.

Brew2bottle are no longer doing next day delivery and all orders are specced now for 5 days. GJ I bought five kits last week hehe.
One big thanks to Brew2bottleathumb..
Their deliveries may be a bit slower but they haven’t let me down yet. They were very happy to correct a wrong order even though it was me who ordered the wrong thing, which was especially good considering how busy they must be. Definitely my first choice for bits from now on.

I placed an order for 25kg Maris Otter with Worcester hop shop on Sunday 29th March. Got an email reply straight away to say orders were taking 7-10 days. Was dispatched UPS on Friday and arrived this morning. I’m well happy with that under the circumstances.

I placed an order for 25kg Maris Otter with Worcester hop shop on Sunday 29th March. Got an email reply straight away to say orders were taking 7-10 days. Was dispatched UPS on Friday and arrived this morning. I’m well happy with that under the circumstances.
Interesting, might well look at them. My partial order with Geterbrewed is now stuck in a hell-hole of Parcel force incompetence, and Getwerbrewed are being very quiet and cagey, today is the day I have formally asked for refund, so if I don't hear back from them by tomorrow I will be looking at other options that DON'T involve Parcel force.
DPD and Hermes seem to be okay, if a day or two late(which I can stand) So good to hear UPS are working okay.

My order from GEB is now at Belfast parcelfarce depot i ordered on 30-3-19
My order once dispatched was sent to South West London Depot overnight! it's the last 3 miles that's been the problem.
Being a small company, I hope my case with GEB is an exception. And very much hope everyone else's order get through okay.

I think there is a problem here generally though that a lot of companies failed to forsee. That being that you have "Capacity" and once you exceed that you are done for. Accommodating extra capacity is okay... if you can do it. Just taking every order under the sun regardless of whether you can fulfil them is asking for trouble.
I think Parcel Force is a prime example of this. They may have assumed that since they are large, and formally the national carrier, they would cope with a surge, but clearly they cannot and have massively overreached themselves. Looking back at the CCTV footage of the guy dropping(well more like throwing) my one parcel, he was not in Parcel force uniform, and the back of his van was not what i would have expected as a parcel force van. That makes me suspect they gave contracted out to try and keep up, that also is a recipe for disaster.

I ordered the Saturday before we went into lockdown (GEB) and it took a week to arrive, so can only assume it will get worse rather than better at the moment.

Parcel Force at least around my area are dire at the best of times (I had to laugh when are stationary supplier at work had a notification on its website stating Parcel Force would no longer ask for a signature and would sign on your behalf) I.e. exactl what they had being doing for years before Covid-19).

My order from Geterbrewed is also on it's way. They've been busy by the sound of it! I've bought from Leyland Homebrew for many years and hope they survive this crisis but in the meantime I'm very grateful to have found an alternative.

My order from Geterbrewed is also on it's way. They've been busy by the sound of it! I've bought from Leyland Homebrew for many years and hope they survive this crisis but in the meantime I'm very grateful to have found an alternative.
Leyland hb is fantastic i got my last grain from there just before lock down, Joe is a very knowledgeable chap, i hope they are both ok and well

Was Just wondering if Brewdog and other breweries may start selling grain or hops. Not sure on the shelf life of these things. Hops will be ok, but if you have several tons of grain sitting in a silo they may just go to animal feed in a few months.
Hey- maybe suggest they start canning malt extract !

Was Just wondering if Brewdog and other breweries may start selling grain or hops. Not sure on the shelf life of these things. Hops will be ok, but if you have several tons of grain sitting in a silo they may just go to animal feed in a few months.
Hey- maybe suggest they start canning malt extract !

Hops maybe. The 25kg sack of crushed MO I received yesterday has a BBE date of March 2022!

I ordered a couple of Bulldog kits in the afternoon of the 3rd from Creative winemaking and just received it in the morning of the 7th.
Full marks to them, under 5 days and two of them were the weekend .
Their prices were good and free delivery from £45 spend.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back