Busy times from home brew shops

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hops maybe. The 25kg sack of crushed MO I received yesterday has a BBE date of March 2022!

just out of interest, how long would that store well for once you've opened it to say do a 5kg brew?

I store mine in one of these and it lasts for well over a year (if it gets the chance). I know that others break the sackful down into more manageable amount stored in freezer bags. I should add that the sack goes into the barrel and remains tied up when not being taken from. I don't pout the grain into the barrel.

1586254566579.png

I was lucky enough to get 25kg from THBC before they shutdown their online shop though only temporarily as they have a backlog of deliveries.
Oh and a bit of bulk buying from Tesco's as there is no limitation on Apple juice.All social distancing and lockdown requirements have been adhered too.

Attachments

• Stockpile .jpeg
    Stockpile .jpeg
    19 KB · Views: 74
Was Just wondering if Brewdog and other breweries may start selling grain or hops. Not sure on the shelf life of these things. Hops will be ok, but if you have several tons of grain sitting in a silo they may just go to animal feed in a few months.

Think about it - we only get one (Northern hemisphere) harvest a year, so the beer in August is always made with barley and hops that are a year old (and in reality will last longer than that).

But closing pubs will have hit the plans of breweries in general, and small ones in particular may have ended up with stock they won't need now, so it's well worth giving them a ring to see if they can sort you out. Buying local also means less strain on the couriers and fewer hands touching it, which has to be a good thing. Even in good times they can often do you a deal - the more malt they get through, the lower the unit price they pay.

Does anybody know which or how many online shops are taking orders, have just tried at least 3 or 4 online and they have all stopped taking orders according the the homepage of their websites. Some also say check with facebook etc, which is no use to me don't do social media for obvious reasons!!!(its anti-social)

I ordered hops this morning from Crossmyloof via ebay as their own site is closed for maintenance.
Geterbrewewd has its website still open but predicted long delays. Order while you can before they close.

Does anybody know which or how many online shops are taking orders, have just tried at least 3 or 4 online and they have all stopped taking orders according the the homepage of their websites. Some also say check with facebook etc, which is no use to me don't do social media for obvious reasons!!!(its anti-social)
I placed a order with balliihoo on the 23rd as I've just received notice that I'll receive it tomorrow the 26th, so that's not too much of a delay if any, as I opted for standard delivery.
At the time of placing the order I checked out all the usual suspects and they were the only one who had everything I wanted in stock.

Mark
I ordered a couple of Bulldog kits in the afternoon of the 3rd from Creative winemaking and just received it in the morning of the 7th.
Full marks to them, under 5 days and two of them were the weekend .
Their prices were good and free delivery from £45 spend.

I store mine in one of these and it lasts for well over a year (if it gets the chance). I know that others break the sackful down into more manageable amount stored in freezer bags. I should add that the sack goes into the barrel and remains tied up when not being taken from. I don't pout the grain into the barrel.

View attachment 24186
crushed?

I ordered some stuff from https://homebrewoutlet.co.uk/ last week and it arrived in 2 days, looks to still be taking orders - pretty happy given the long wait I had with some other retailers recently.

Yes. I get all my malt crushed. I went through several moves 4-6 years ago which meant I couldn't brew. I've still got some crushed crystal malt that's a bit older than that and It's still hard and crunchy and usable. Not saying it's as flavoursome as a new batch, but you wouldn't notice.

Thanks SteveH, had a look at the website, no mention of delays etc and couple of all grain kits I like the sound of. Will order first thing in the morning.
I ordered some stuff from https://homebrewoutlet.co.uk/ last week and it arrived in 2 days, looks to still be taking orders - pretty happy given the long wait I had with some other retailers recently.

Stuck a GEB order in today even though I’ve done 3 brews in as many weeks. I’m not in any great rush for the stuff to come because I’ve got 2 batches still to bottle and another to do.

Remembered that I’ve wanted to do a Berlinerweiss but couldn’t really justify being in the house for 24-36hrs for the kettle souring. Now we are in lockdown I can justify it so I’m giving Sourpitch a go. I’ll add some Tesco Value frozen mixed berries in secondary.

To make it worth my while I’ve got enough ingredients to do another witbier and I’ve taken a Brooklyn Sorachi clone recipe from one of my brewing books and replaced the Belgian yeast with a saison yeast.

Last edited:
My Geterbrewed order arrived this morning- pretty good going given the circumstances; but my bottle tree was broken in it's packagaing; so have emailed them.

My Geterbrewed order arrived this morning- pretty good going given the circumstances; but my bottle tree was broken in it's packagaing; so have emailed them.
If it is just one of the nine tree "branches" that is broken, it should be OK to actually use. I have an 80 bottle tree (8 branches with 10 leaves) and only ever use 3 at a time for up to 30 bottles.

Latest posts

Back