But do I need a mash tun?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey dudes (and dudettes)

So, I've got my good old trusty Robobrew and I love it. Have been using it for several years now and pretty much mastered it. Not had a failed brew since I started using it. I absolutely love brewing - started when I was a teen, had quite a break but recently (4 or 5 years ago) started up again and never looked back.

Anyway, enough of the history! So, my current setup is a Robobrew, and I have a HLT which I use for sparging (yeah, I know - it's not an "all in one", yada yada yada), and then an SS Brewtech Chronical (which I also love!). However, I've been musing over the idea of getting a separate mash tun and doing it "properly". Cue the debate. I'd still use my Robobrew as an "all in one" (see above), but then also have the flexibility of playing around with a proper 3 vessel system.

When I first started getting back into brewing again (having always been a kit man in my teens), I rigged up some stuff with coolers, copper pipe, etc. but just couldn't find my mojo with it. Along came the robobrew one anniversary and I've never looked back. But....can't help the nagging brewdemons on my shoulder telling me I'm not doing it properly.

So, what should I do? I've got an anniversary coming up in October and thinking of getting one of the SS Brewtech mash tuns, but wanted to do some research and ask the pro's before I go suggesting to SWMBO.

Thoughts welcome :)

Hey dudes (and dudettes)

So, I've got my good old trusty Robobrew and I love it. Have been using it for several years now and pretty much mastered it. Not had a failed brew since I started using it. I absolutely love brewing - started when I was a teen, had quite a break but recently (4 or 5 years ago) started up again and never looked back.

Anyway, enough of the history! So, my current setup is a Robobrew, and I have a HLT which I use for sparging (yeah, I know - it's not an "all in one", yada yada yada), and then an SS Brewtech Chronical (which I also love!). However, I've been musing over the idea of getting a separate mash tun and doing it "properly". Cue the debate. I'd still use my Robobrew as an "all in one" (see above), but then also have the flexibility of playing around with a proper 3 vessel system.

When I first started getting back into brewing again (having always been a kit man in my teens), I rigged up some stuff with coolers, copper pipe, etc. but just couldn't find my mojo with it. Along came the robobrew one anniversary and I've never looked back. But....can't help the nagging brewdemons on my shoulder telling me I'm not doing it properly.

So, what should I do? I've got an anniversary coming up in October and thinking of getting one of the SS Brewtech mash tuns, but wanted to do some research and ask the pro's before I go suggesting to SWMBO.

Thoughts welcome :)
Theoretically you already have a 3 v system, the robo brew with the malt pipe in is a mash tun. Remove that then it becomes the boiler. Then you have your vessel for sparge water. If using a single vessel similar to a robobrew isn't doing it properly I don't think a 3 v system would be any better. Try full volume and get rid of the need to sparge.

Thanks @foxy, I think I probably secretly know this but my inner self wants to buy another piece of equipment 😂 On a more serious note what I think I miss with the all in one is getting a clear wort I to the boiler - any views?

Thanks @foxy, I think I probably secretly know this but my inner self wants to buy another piece of equipment 😂 On a more serious note what I think I miss with the all in one is getting a clear wort I to the boiler - any views?
I don't worry too much about the clarity of the wort going into the boil, if I have my crush right I get very few white bits, if I crush too fine then I spend a bit of time getting them out with a sieve. I am more concerned about the clarity of the wort going into the fermenter.
002.JPG

Latest posts

Back