Butty Bach ESB

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lidl's cheapest cornflakes, 50p for 500g, list only flaked maize and nothing else in their ingredients. All the others I have looked at, including Aldi s cheapest, list things like iron. I've used the Lidl ones loads of times without issue, so they might be worth a try if you don't have a LHBS and need some in a hurry.
Cheaper than three quid per kilo from the malt miller! Good call!

Does flaked maize = Corn Flakes?

BTW, darrellm, kudos to your stout recipe, had a taster the other night, coming along great! athumb..
I found this on another forum to the same question, not saying what is and what isn't just reposting

"Absolutely not!!!

Corn Flakes (as in the cereal) are a processed food product that contains corn. Flaked maize (or any grain for that matter) is the raw grain that has been passed through rollers at a high temp. The two products do not even resemble each other. Flaked maize resembles oatmeal if anything.

Wikipedia lists Corn Flakes ingredients as:
* Milled Corn, Sugar, Malt flavoring, High fructose corn syrup, Salt, Iron, Niacinamide, Sodium ascorbate and ascorbic acid (vitamin C), Pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), Riboflavin (vitamin B2), Thiamin hydrochloride (vitamin B1), Vitamin A palmitate, Folic acid, Vitamin B12, Vitamin D, Vitamin B

There is no such thing as non gelatinized flaked maize. The rolling of the grain creates friction and heat, thus gelatizining it. The point of buying flaked grains is that you don't have to do a special mash to gelatinize the starches."

I may have misremembered the Lidl corn flakes ingredients, but there is definitely no additives that would worry me, just corn, barley malt extract and a small amount of salt. I guess it's up to you if you think that would effect things in your brew. Anyway, here are the ingredients;

IMG_20210413_120331.jpg

IMG_20210413_120345.jpg

I can well see that Kellogg's Corn Flakes are going to have more additives etc, but for the cheap ones, there's nothing much there except salt, so I'm certainly prepared to give those a try if other posters have used them successfully.

Yes you can culture it up from a bottle with a few builds
I see it is on the LIST of bottle conditioned as filtered but then conditioned with fresh primary strain, which is great but out of interest is it known that it is any particular strain?

There a recipe and kit for butty bach from malt Miller here that I'm planning
Butty Bach Clone | The Malt Miller

And perhaps no coincidence I'm also planning an ESB clone but swapping the LALLEMAND London ESB Yeast after a disastrous experience for WLP002 - my first use of liquid yeast (do need a starter...?.)

https://www.themaltmiller.co.uk/?s=Esb&search_id=1&post_type=product
On the canals a Butty is an unpowered boat pull along with you powered boat.
In Wales, Butty is a friend or mate, Bach is little.

I should have reported back sooner, but I'm afraid my batch of this was a complete failure. I don't know whether to blame the midsummer ambient temperature, or the yeast, or the Lidl corn flakes, or a combination of the three, but although I bottled it, it never tasted good or cleared properly, and in the end it went down the drain.

Latest posts

Back