Buying full bags of grain

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlackIsland

An Ode to Beer
Reaction score
Some of you may have seen my post on The Snug, asking about places to retire in the UK. This is a continuing exploration of that possibility. I prefer brewing as cheaply as possible, and so here in the US I buy my grains by the bag and store them in sealed containers, cutting the price on many grains by half, sometimes more. So that said, what is the scene in the UK? Easy to get? Affordable?

As it is, I usually buy my base grains once a year, through a club buy. I keep pils, wheat, rye, English pale, american pale, light Munich and Vienna all on hand. Sometimes I drive a couple hours and buy multiple bags and turn it into a day trip, and sometimes I work with a local brewery and buy from them directly.

Any insights would be appreciated!

This is what a lot do over here. Most of the best sites post on here or regularly mentioned. Most towns now have breweries that is another source for grain. I won't quote prices as in 10 years things would have changed. But look at geterbrew for a rough idea.

thehomebrewcompany.co.uk and hook head malts are what I often purchase, £75 for 3 25kg bags of malt. The pale malt is remarkably good.

Latest posts

Back