Buying on Ali Express

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I need a 4 way gas manifold also.
The kegland doesn't have them.
They have a 3 way for £7.97 plus £4.58 postage, with MFL thread but no JG fittings which is probably all I’ll need because my 2 minikegs can run from the same outlet with a splitter as they’ll always have the same beer.

£7.97 | 3 Output / 3 Way Manifold Gas Line Splitter with Check Valves (1/4" thread, MFL Thread) duotight compatible KL02615
https://a.aliexpress.com/_dVqMTJX

Anyone found a decent 35L ish electric kettle on there? Something to do Biab.

I have ordered a few things in the past from AliExpress. Not had any issues and no extra duty to pay.
As mentioned they appear to be exactly the same as items sold in UK stores. I purchased a 5l mini keg and a gas/liquid top. No leaks when I put it under pressure, so far.
I do like to support my local store, but it's a 60 mile round journey and currently do not have a lot of stock.

I've bought lots of bits and bobs from Aliexpress press. Some turn up quickly, some take a bit longer. I've only had one order that turned up short (ss fittings) but money was refunded as soon as I let them know.

Still no sign of my BlowTies, 3 months expire on 22 August... Got my hop spiders tho...

Still no sign of my BlowTies, 3 months expire on 22 August... Got my hop spiders tho...

Any tracking? I bought stuff from the Kegland store. The first courier lost the parcel, but they re-sent it without question when I pointed it out. Came in 3 weeks. Absolute bargains to be had from their official store.

Got my inline reg finally after it sat in customs for a month ordered 15th May so a decent wait .. Noticed brewmaster prices have shot up since I ordered

Got my inline reg finally after it sat in customs for a month ordered 15th May so a decent wait .. Noticed brewmaster prices have shot up since I ordered
I think they shoot the prices up when something goes out of stock to save on AliExpress listing fees.

It’s encouraging to hear that you received something from so long ago - there’s hope for my minikeg parka yet!

I think they shoot the prices up when something goes out of stock to save on AliExpress listing fees.

It’s encouraging to hear that you received something from so long ago - there’s hope for my minikeg parka yet!
What did the tracking say? On the mobile it didn't give me much info but noticed on the PC I had more info and it showed it in customs for a while before moving to Langley and then to my local post office
Best of luck and hope it turns up soon

I'm trying to actively avoid buying from China or Chinese products until they sort out their human rights issues with the Uighurs and go back to honouring their agreement over HongKong, among other issues. It's not easy. As soon as you start looking for alternatives you begin to see what a grip they've got on the throat of the world market.

What did the tracking say? On the mobile it didn't give me much info but noticed on the PC I had more info and it showed it in customs for a while before moving to Langley and then to my local post office
Best of luck and hope it turns up soon
It said “Arrived in destination country” quickly followed by “accepted by final mile carrier” on 7 July and no movement since.

It said “Arrived in destination country” quickly followed by “accepted by final mile carrier” on 7 July and no movement since.
Do you have a link to the Royal Mail tracking site for further info? We probably ordered from different vendors but hopefully you will find some more info if you look at the links in the order

Do you have a link to the Royal Mail tracking site for further info? We probably ordered from different vendors but hopefully you will find some more info if you look at the links in the order
Royal Mail says it’s awaiting the package from China. Been the same since June. I sent Brewmaster a message last night but it’s not been read yet.

I'm trying to actively avoid buying from China or Chinese products until they sort out their human rights issues with the Uighurs and go back to honouring their agreement over HongKong, among other issues. It's not easy. As soon as you start looking for alternatives you begin to see what a grip they've got on the throat of the world market.

I applaud the sentiment but feel it's a bit cutting off your nose to spite your face. The government is undoubtedly horrible, but I certainly don't feel like buying directly from China is an endorsement of their dubious human rights record.

As you say, you can't escape the fact that everything is made there. All AliExpress is doing is cutting out the middle man.

for those who've had experience ordering from Kegland on Aliexpress, if ordering a few things do you try and do it as separate orders to keep the value of the package down and therefore reduce your chance of being stung for import fees?
e.g. i notice they've now got Nukataps on there, if you wanted 3 would you order 3 separately or together? They are 21.44 Euro each, so below the 22 Euro cut off mentioned, my thinking is they'd not get picked up for import charges separately, but you have to pay delivery 3 times.

I am about to receive some stuff from Shenzhen China tomorrow, value about £100.
I'm tracking it via DHL and I have little idea how the duty and VAT will work. I think the duty is exempt.
I'm expecting to get a DHL notification that I have to pay them duty, VAT and handling before they deliver?

https://www.gov.uk/goods-sent-from-abroad/tax-and-duty
Tax and duty
You’ll be contacted by Royal Mail, Parcelforce or the courier company explaining how to pay any VAT, duty and fees for dealing with customs.
They’ll normally hold your parcel for about 3 weeks. If you haven’t paid the fee by then, it’ll be sent back.
VAT
You pay VAT on goods sent from non-European Union (EU) countries and EUspecial territories (eg the Canary Islands) if they’re:
  • gifts worth more than £39
  • other goods worth more than £15
  • alcohol, tobacco products and fragrances (eg perfume, eau de toilette and cologne) of any value
You have to pay VAT on all goods sent by mail order from the Channel Islands no matter what their value.
You’ll be charged at the VAT rate that applies to your goods. VAT is charged on the total value, including:
  • the price paid for the goods
  • postage, packaging and insurance
  • any duty you owe
Customs Duty
You’ll be charged Customs Duty on gifts and other goods sent from outside the EU if they’re above a certain value.
The value includes:
  • the price paid for the goods
  • postage, packaging and insurance
Type and value of goodsCustoms Duty
Anything under £135No charge
Gifts worth £135-£6302.5%, but rates are lower for some goods - call the helpline
Gifts above £630 and other goods above £135The rate depends on the type of goods and where they came from - call the helpline

If I'm not mistaken there is still tax to pay when it arrives in the UK and customs get their hands on it and its over 30odd quid? I got stung when I ordered a few floating dip tubes a few months back.
I've been charged import duty sometimes but not others. Often on the paperwork they list something anonymous like 'tools' or 'sample' and put a nominal value of a few quid; however evidently HMRC do do checks sometimes...

My understanding is that what sometimes happens when a company pays to have their goods manufactured in the far east, is that after the production run is finished, the factory runs off a few more and sells them themselves via an indirect channel that is hard to trace back to them (usually for cheaper, and in violation of the contract but that's hard to prove).

Latest posts

Back