C02 regulator adapter

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tombo

Reaction score
Hi, I know there are adapters to make a standard C02 reg fit a sodastream cylinder but I have a regulator for a sodastream cylinder that I'd like to adapt to fit a full size 6kg C02 cylinder. Is there such an adapter please?
This reg cost a small fortune when I got it but no longer use sodastream cylinders anymore and it seems a waste to let it sit idle.
Thank you
IMG_20220808_213436140.jpg
IMG_20220808_213417427.jpg

Hi, I know there are adapters to make a standard C02 reg fit a sodastream cylinder but I have a regulator for a sodastream cylinder that I'd like to adapt to fit a full size 6kg C02 cylinder. Is there such an adapter please?
This reg cost a small fortune when I got it but no longer use sodastream cylinders anymore and it seems a waste to let it sit idle.
Thank youView attachment 73041View attachment 73042
Maybe it’s time to “think outside the box”?

The easiest way would be to purchase a “MAGT CO2 Refill Adapter, G1/2 CO2 Cylinder Refill Adapter with Hose, CO2 Refill Connector for Filling Sodastream Tank (36 inches without pressure gauge).” These are £38.59 from Amazon.

I am presuming that you already have a Sodastream CO2 cylinder and an ordinary CO2 cylinder.

Enjoy!
athumb..

Maybe it’s time to “think outside the box”?

The easiest way would be to purchase a “MAGT CO2 Refill Adapter, G1/2 CO2 Cylinder Refill Adapter with Hose, CO2 Refill Connector for Filling Sodastream Tank (36 inches without pressure gauge).” These are £38.59 from Amazon.

I am presuming that you already have a Sodastream CO2 cylinder and an ordinary CO2 cylinder.

Enjoy!
athumb..
I like the idea and yes I still have sodastream cylinders but with the pressures involved and having seen a C02 fire extinguisher make it's bid for the moon, I don't feel confident enough to attempt it 😬

I worked with pressurised gas so I can appreciate your concerns!

Personally, I’m more worried that the CO2 in a commercial bottle isn’t the same Food Grade CO2 contained in a Sodastream bottle. That and the ease of finding refills is the reason I’ve stuck with Sodastream for so long.
athumb..

@Dutto ... I'd be a bit worried about that adapter you've linked. The information supplied is a bit "generic" (one must presume you'll get the correct UK threads; one reviewer reckoned he didn't) and it wouldn't give me the confidence to purchase it (and it's overly expensive too). There's a little more to filling Soda-stream cylinders than the Amazon splash goes into (like needing the donor cylinder to be upside-down; unless you know why it doesn't need to be). Some Amazon "markets" are definitely getting dodgier than the old-style Ebay sellers (i.e. Dodgier than dodgy!).

@Tombo ... Your regulator looks old enough to only be suitable for old Soda-stream cylinders (G-1/2 thread). But the cylinder nut on the regulator does looks like it could be screwed off? I imagine that will be difficult without mangling the reg. Once off it might be possible to find a suitable nut to replace it? It might also be more trouble than it's worth.

@Dutto ... I'd be a bit worried about that adapter you've linked. The information supplied is a bit "generic" (one must presume you'll get the correct UK threads; one reviewer reckoned he didn't) and it wouldn't give me the confidence to purchase it (and it's overly expensive too). There's a little more to filling Soda-stream cylinders than the Amazon splash goes into (like needing the donor cylinder to be upside-down; unless you know why it doesn't need to be). Some Amazon "markets" are definitely getting dodgier than the old-style Ebay sellers (i.e. Dodgier than dodgy!).

@Tombo ... Your regulator looks old enough to only be suitable for old Soda-stream cylinders (G-1/2 thread). But the cylinder nut on the regulator does looks like it could be screwed off? I imagine that will be difficult without mangling the reg. Once off it might be possible to find a suitable nut to replace it? It might also be more trouble than it's worth.
Thank you, already tried to take the nut off but it won't budge without excessive force which may snap or ruin it altogether. Maybe better to just see what it's worth on the secondhand market.

Thank you, already tried to take the nut off but it won't budge without excessive force which may snap or ruin it altogether. Maybe better to just see what it's worth on the secondhand market.
But is it the old G-1/2 cylinder thread? The newer chunky trapezoid thread is very obvious (it doesn't look like a thread!). You might get a nut (on a stem) that would screw into G-1/2.

But is it the old G-1/2 cylinder thread? The newer chunky trapezoid thread is very obvious (it doesn't look like a thread!). You might get a nut (on a stem) that would screw into G-1/2.
No idea what it is but it fits the newest most recent sodastream cylinders.

Chunky trapezoid then. They also have tricky poky bits to attempt to make it difficult to use third-party devices (bit lame though).

Back