Cabernet Sauvignon Solomon Grundy Gold Kit Review + Pictures

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Berry454

Reaction score
Just finished brewing the 30 bottle Solomon Grundy Gold Cabernet Sauvignon wine kit. This was the first "low" value kit I've brewed previously I've only brewed cellar 7 and wine expert.

When I opened the kit I was fairly disappointed. It came with a tiny little bottle of grape concentrate which looked to be about 1-2 litres in size. Nothing compared to the 5-8 litres of grape concentrate included with my prior kits.

I wasn't expecting much but I brewed it regardless.

It started at 1.85 OG and FG of 0.995. it gone from start to finish in 8 days at 25 degrees Celsius. Heated constantly with a fish tank heater.

It cleared ultra fast with the finnings and I added the flavouring pack today and bottled.

I thought tonight I would try a little sip for a taste test. I shocked to see that it actually tastes really good! Fairly fruity on the start with warm woody oak after tones. Easily beats any bottle of red from the supermarket in the £5 price mark and tastes on par with most the £10 bottle of reds that I've had.

I have no doubt that the flavours do not come from the grape concentrate. I believe the flavours come from the flavour add back pack. And while these may not be the usual way at creating wines it definitely makes a lovely bottle of red that absolutely doesn't need to be aged and probably wouldn't improve with age.

Me and my fiancee are currently on our second bottle tonight between us. I'm honestly shocked as this is the first kit that I've ever consumed a bottle of before a month of aging!

Stay tuned for my upcoming brews. I currently have 4 fermenters finishing this weekend and another 4 to start next week with a range of kits from Solomon Grundy, Solomon Grundy fruit wines, Vine Co and a range of others. Plus a few beers and ciders.

IMG_20220121_105503_841.jpg
IMG_20220121_105515_679.jpg
IMG_20220121_110749_229.jpg
IMG_20220121_110916_284.jpg
IMG_20220121_221349_274.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20220121_214829_640.jpg
    IMG_20220121_214829_640.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 13
I thought tonight I would try a little sip for a taste test. I shocked to see that it actually tastes really good! Fairly fruity on the start with warm woody oak after tones. Easily beats any bottle of red from the supermarket in the £5 price mark and tastes on par with most the £10 bottle of reds that I've had.

Glad it turned out well.

We have made a few of the cheaper kits and i would suggest trying a WineBuddy kit they are similar in price but in our opinion better quality.

If you are getting your kits delivered try one of the The Range Store Make Your Own Wine kits they are supposedly made by Beaverdale and are much better quality than the Solomon Grundy and WineBuddy kits, you can find reviews here -

https://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/threads/wine-and-cider-kit-reviews-a-z.57680/

Latest posts

Back