cable glands or tank connectors

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

prolix

Landlord.
Reaction score
I want to place a stainless steel heating coil through the side of my fermenter and need to ensure it is water tight and removable.

Have seen people put them through the lid but wanted to put it through the side for total immersion.

So I was wondering what to use, have had lots of ideas but not sure that they would work. A John guest 10mm tank connector would be perfect but the don't make them that small

I used a 10mm cable gland for my herms exchanger, but that's only holding a couple of liters and it's not touching the wort, so could seal it with whatever I wanted!
Don't know but could you use a hydraulic compression coupling, and fit a lock nut on the back, like a large pt100 probe mount?

:hmm: let me see what my sources come up with? Sure they won't be that much? I take it you want shiny stainless?

You could use cable glands. Place them just above where you max fill level will be. If the coils high and dry then you could put extension legs on it. Brewzone had a nice solution, pics below post here Highwayman has just done the cable gland route....worth asking him

Coolingcoil3.JPG

Coolingcoil5.JPG

went out and bought some cable glands from maplins the 5-8 mm ones are a great fit, the 10mm pipe squeezes through and the seal makes it water tight. So there will be very little surface on the inside and only threads to harbour beasties (a lot less than a drum tap thread).

and at £1.09 cheap as chips.

Thats a lovely coil there vossy I have the single one from Norm

Thats a lovely coil there vossy I have the single one from Norm
I got the double one, from Norm also.
CIMG1827225x300.jpg

I like cable glands as you can take them fully apart to clean them :cool:
Also very useful for all sorts of other uses in the home brewery.

Sorry for the later arrival Guys! As Vossy points out I used the Nylon Cable Glands on my 60 Litre FV. I have a twin SS H/E Coil bought from Norman :thumb: I managed to get hold of a section of 10mm SS Pipe on ebay for a few quid. (The guy even bent them to 45 degrees for me, so that they would come out of the FV at the right angle :D ) I sat the coil right on the bottom attatched the SS pipe to the JG straight connectors and cut a length to bring it out of the sides through the Nylon Glands..I cut off the excess put some insulating tap on the SS pipes just to give the Glands something to grip on to to make an air tight seal!!

I have used it twice now and its great. See Picture below:-
100_2025_00.jpg

100_2026.jpg

Coming out of the sides allows me to remove the lid with ease so that I can add yeast and finings etc... :thumb:

Hope this helps :cheers:

Back