calculating alcohol when using fruit pulp.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

helluvatractor

Reaction score
Hi all.
Could someone explain in simple terms. How to calculate the potential alcohol when using fruit pulp / carton grape juice / sugar ?

Here's my scenario:

Been given a load of plums, so am roughly following the recipe for Victoria plum wine in the boots book. But stepped up the quantity to make 5 gallon.

So far, I have used 12.5 kilos of fruit , poured on 6 l boiling water, mashed it all up and its fermenting nicely. In four days I intend to strain, add 5 l of supermarket grape juice , and (I think) 5 kg sugar (depending on whether I can work out the potential alcohol ).

So, this is what I need to know - how much alcohol per gallon is this ammount of fruit pulp likely to produce ? How much could I expect to lose when I strain and then later rack off the lees ?

If I know this, then I can work out how much extra sugar the grape juice will add, then finally how much actual sugar I need to add to make a wine with the alcohol I desire.

Many thanks in anticipation

Sorry. I just read moleys posts, (should have done this first) !

and I think I am sorted now. unless i have got it wrong -

plums have about 10% sugar, so 12.5 kilos will yield about 1.2 kilo sugar . With an estimated 90% extraction , ( does this mean after straining ?) it will come to about 1kg sugar per 5 gallon or 200g per gallon.

adding 5l of grape juice will add 850g per 5 gallon or 170g per gallon.

so before i add any sugar each gallon would have 370g of sugar (whether its still sugar or alcohol now). giving a potential alcohol content of 4.4% (if i added no more sugar).

obviously, i want a higher alcohol than this, say 11-12%, so i would be looking at adding approx 615g per gallon or 3 kilos per 5 gallon.

phew, thats the most maths i've done since school. please, anyone feel free to correct me if i've made a mistake along the line

You have 5kg plus 50g sugar in 5 gallons. Thats just over 1kg per gallon, which gives you about 11% by my reckoning. Victoria Plum wine is usually made a bit stronger as it benefits from some residual sweetness.

My blackberry wine, for 5 gallons, I put in 8kg of fruit & 6kg of sugar.
From this I get 14.5%

I've done plum before, which I've used less fruit than you (1.8kg per gallon) & added 400g of honey, with 1kg of sugar
This got me 13.5%

So I reckon you'll get something around that

Latest posts

Back