Calibrate iSpindel

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes put it in the p field - but if I were you I would use the degree 2 not 3

Can't help with Ubidots - I use Brewfather which is easy Brewfather

You would have to pay for premium - which is $19 per year!

Thanks! I got there eventually :laugh8:

I'll take a look at Brewfather as well. Looks interesting but perhaps overkill for a beginner extract brewer like me.

Not sure what's going wrong here... My Gravity reading is still crazy high.. My hydrometer is reading 1.030 but the Ipsindel is reading 7.438!!

Any suggestions?

Last edited:
Sorted and reading identical to my hydrometer!

Thanks for your help!

Attachments

• B79F479F-548C-4F83-A19D-D9B4763A3D18.png
    B79F479F-548C-4F83-A19D-D9B4763A3D18.png
    33.6 KB · Views: 97
mine is only showing showing gravity to two decimal places rather three, might that be caused by using degree 3 or have i done something wrong with my polynomial?

i'm not able to try with degree 2 at the moment as it's sealed in my fermentor. i'd thought the problem was just that i had my upidots graph not showing enough decimal places, but that's not it.

this is my polynomial:
0.8864+0.006890*tilt-0.0001137*tilt*tilt+8.1375e-7*tilt*tilt*tilt

mine is only showing showing gravity to two decimal places rather three, might that be caused by using degree 3 or have i done something wrong with my polynomial?

i'm not able to try with degree 2 at the moment as it's sealed in my fermentor. i'd thought the problem was just that i had my upidots graph not showing enough decimal places, but that's not it.

this is my polynomial:
0.8864+0.006890*tilt-0.0001137*tilt*tilt+8.1375e-7*tilt*tilt*tilt

Are you talking about in Ubidots or in the ispindel itself?

Eee by gum, as we say here in the North - what a puzzling question

I do not understand how ubidots works and I use brewfather - which can't cope with a degree three calculation

Other than the fact there are only 2 decimal points does the Ipsindel seem to be giving an accurate sg reading?

Even though it is currently in a brew you could take it out and enter a different pn (only writing that because I can't spell polynomial)

I do not understand how ubidots works and I use brewfather - which can't cope with a degree three calculation

Other than the fact there are only 2 decimal points does the Ipsindel seem to be giving an accurate sg reading?

Even though it is currently in a brew you could take it out and enter a different pn (only writing that because I can't spell polynomial)

that's southern talk to me up here on teesside!

i don't fully get ubidots as yet. i plan to hook up my ispindel to brewer's friend which i've paid for, so i don't fancy forking out for brewfather (though it does seem rather good). i've not wrapped my head around the brewer's friend ispindel instructions as yet, and i'd like to sort this issue using ubidots before i try.

i should fish the ispindel out, but i've been taking care not to expose this brew to any oxygen.

wait... i think i confused things. it is ubidots that is not showing the three decimal places.

but yes, the ispindel is reporting gravity accurately.

Hope this helps here is a video how to configure ispindel on ubidots.

If you are already setup on ubidots if you go forward to 5 minutes in video and watch from there and it shows you how to configure to 3 decimal places for SG.

alas, that is not the issue i have. ubidots shows three decimal places, but the last is only ever zero (i.e. 1.050, 1.040, 1.030...)

alas, that is not the issue i have. ubidots shows three decimal places, but the last is only ever zero (i.e. 1.050, 1.040, 1.030...)
Mine shows the reading correctly on the actual device variable, but on the graphs and in the values table it rounds up the last decimal place. Is that what your seeing?

I've got brewfather working with degree three. Set it up at the weekend..... unless the data it's reporting is inaccurate and I just don't know it!!!

I sorted this out... In Ubidots, go to your user profile and change the default dashboard decimal place value to 3. Now your graphs will be nice an smooth!

I sorted this out... In Ubidots, go to your user profile and change the default dashboard decimal place value to 3. Now your graphs will be nice an smooth!
now that worked!
not sure why amending the decimal places just on the gravity readings didn't work, but there you go.

thanks very much for your help, all of you.

i've seen that with the 4 brews i've done tracking with ispindel
Same here. My iSpindel rises by up to 4 points about a day into fermentation. Does suggest Co2 effect. It is now under reading by 4 points consistently. Methinks another go at calibration is needed.

Silly question - when calibrating why are we starting with the highest sugar concentration and then diluting (so having to pour away).
Isn’t it much easier to start with water and add sugar until you hit the required conc?

Back